The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Vacancy No.: 094
Location: Benin City, Edo
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)
GIZ. Solutions that work
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja.
- Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
Skills Development for Youth Employment (SKYE) Programme:
- The GIZ Programme “Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)” supports the diversification of the economy in Nigeria through the promotion of demand oriented technical and agricultural vocational training and education (A/VET). Apart from the sectors agriculture and construction, the project is focusing mainly on the automotive, ICT and other sectors.
- The strategy of the project is to improve the synergy between measures on the demand side for employment (i.e. skilled persons that followed vocational qualification measures, formal and informal TVET and Agricultural-VET (ATVET) measures) with those of the employment supply side (i.e. promotion of a pro-employment environment in the private sector through e.g. job centers, job fairs, short-term training and internship programmes, etc.).
- The purpose is to develop the match-making between the supply and demand of skilled labor force and hence to contribute to the decrease of youth unemployment in the country.
Responsibilities & Tasks
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for:
- Coordination of SEDEC Cluster shared services (Carpooling, conference room booking and cleaners supervision)
- Liaising with customers in a service-oriented manner on behalf of the office by providing a professional phone service, personally welcoming visitors and maintaining a high standard in the reception area
- Registering incoming and outgoing mails and invoices
- Support the admin and office manager as requested
- Performing reception and secretariat services daily.
- Ensuring hospitality services
Specifically, the Administrative Assistant performs the following tasks:
Administrative Support services:
- Support Admin and Finance officers with checking for accuracy of vendors invoicing, receipts and documentation
- Support Office Manager with facility management (booking maintenance and services of office equipment)
- Raising of material request for and Procurement of office consumables
- Taking inventory of stock
- Support office manager with assets tagging and ensuring that all assets are placed at the right position
- Support Office Manager with vendor sourcing and follow up
- Coordinate drivers activities (book pick ups and drop offs)
- Support with travel logistics arrangement (hotel accommodation/ meeting rooms reservations)
The Administrative Assistant:
- Registers, documents and organizes incoming and outgoing correspondence (fax, emails, packages and personally delivered messages)
- Ensures that visitors are comfortable by offering newspapers, refreshments etc.
- Also acts as the Hospitality Officer
Office work and services:
The Administrative Assistant:
- Ensures creation and/or regular updating of a list of contacts and addresses (telephone, fax, email)
- Sorts and distributes incoming correspondence (email, fax, other official documents)
- Is responsible for distributing and accepting documents and packages to/from the post office, government institutions, embassies etc., and is responsible for these
- Ensures periodicals are put out and updates the information on the notice board
- Prepares and organizes information materials for meetings/workshops
Hospitality duties/additional tasks:
- Ensuring adequate catering for GIZ staff, meetings and guests in the office building
- Request for replenishment of utensils, consumables, including drinking water
- Serve food and drinks to visitors
- Support conduct of meetings by arranging tables/chairs settings and cleanliness as well as by serving food and drinks
- Be aware of and adhere to health and safety practices of GIZ.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the management
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Minimum of HND in Business Administration, Accounting or a related field or Office Administration Certificate (Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Delegation of German Industry and Commerce in Nigeria, ACCI, NACCIMA).
- At least one-year professional experience in a comparable position.
- GIZ experience is an added advantage
Desired Additional Qualifications, Competencies, and Experiences:
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Very good written and oral knowledge of English language,
- Politeness and helpfulness in dealing with visitors
- Good communication skills
- Pays attention to detail
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Good team player who is willing to take on responsibility
- Innovative and possessing a positive attitude to change
- Sound of familiarity of Benin city and surrounding towns
- Knowledge of administrative procedures and systems, managing files and records, and other office procedures
- Good Knowledge of Issuance of receipts and keeping reports
- English language proficiency (written and oral)
- Detail oriented and ability to work under minimal supervision and to show initiative and resourcefulness
- Willingness to undergo further training in accordance with the tasks.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 2
Application Closing Date
21st November, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details via: email@example.com using “Vacancy No. 094 ” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity.
- All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted