The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
>>>CLICK HERE to Join JOBS IN NIGERIA & OVERSEAS Telegram Channel
Location: Calabar, Cross River
Host Entity: UNHCR
Duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Number of Assignments: 1
Sustainable Development Goal: Reduced Inequality
Expected Start Date: 22/11/2021
Volunteer Category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
Mission and Objectives
The Office of the UNHCR was established on 14 December 1950 by the UN General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country (www.unhcr.org).
UNHCR has also been involved in various IDP operations at the request of the concerned countries or the United Nations General Assembly/Secretariat General (UNGA/SG). Further to the humanitarian reform in 2005, UNHCR has been appointed to ensure the leadership of Protection, Shelter/NFI, and Camp management and camp coordination clusters in emergency settings. As a result, the staffing requirements have increased in UNHCR’s operations worldwide. In Nigeria, UNHCR plays the role of co-sharing with IOM the Shelter/ NFI and CCCM sector, coordination for the Protection sector working group. In the meantime, UNHCR, as a protection agency, is implementing activities to promote a favorable protection environment. In addition, UNHCR Nigeria continues to respond to a complex humanitarian situation in northeast Nigeria which has caused massive internal displacement and refugee outflows into the neighboring countries of Cameroon, Niger, and Chad.
- The position of Administrative Assistant is located in the Sub-Office, Ogoja under the direct supervision of the Administrative Officer with overall supervision of the Head of Sub–Office.
- The role of this position is to provide administrative support services to the Head of Sub-Office, in order to ensure the smooth running of the office and its flow and management of administrative and routine information. This would involve direct contact with other staff members and with the teams of high-ranking officials, both within and outside UNHCR within the Sub-Office purview while following instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional, and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity, and respect for diversity.
UN Volunteer will report to Administrative Officer and will be under the overall supervision of Head of Sub Office, the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Provide administrative support to the UNHCR Office including documents handling and control of documents flow between the office of HoSO and other offices/external parties.
- Arrange appointments and maintains supervisor’s calendar. Receive visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion.
- Arrange meetings, both internal and external, some involving high-ranking officials, and take minutes and/or notes at meetings.Prepare informal translations and may act as interpreter
- Draft correspondence, documents, and reports, some of which are highly confidential.
- Receive, screen, log, and route correspondence, attach necessary background information and maintain follow-up system.
- Draft official correspondence, documents, and reports on routine matters and/or for clearance by the supervisor and ensure follow-up. Maintain filing system for electronic and hard copy documents.
- Maybe required to assist in Human Resources tasks (attendance record, travel arrangements, preparation of travel authorization, /claims, etc.) for staff within the unit.
- Assist in the preparation of visit programmes, briefings on issues covered by the Unit, collection of documentation for briefing kits, talking points and other material for missions, meetings, and visits.
- Support admin unit in processing of travel documentation, travel entitlements and travel claims
- Support in ticket bookings for local and international travels
- Replenishment and management of office supplies for the office of the HoSO
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- Secondary Education in Business Administration, Secretarial Studies, Office Management, Human Resources, or another related field
- 3 years of experience in Administration or other relevant programmes
- Document drafting is an asset,
- Working in the UN or other international development organization.
- Drafting, formulation, reporting skills.
- Document production and editing.
- Working inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels
- Working with tools and approaches of communications for development.
- Microsoft office suite.
- Age: 27 – 80
- Nationality: Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
Area(s) of Expertise:
- Administration, Communication.
- English, Level: Fluent, Required.
Competencies and Values:
- Team work
- Commitment to continuous learning
Living Conditions and Remarks
As this is a national UN Volunteer assignment, the UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging his/her own housing and other living essentials.
Application Closing Date
12th November, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics.
- As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.