The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advisor on Hydrogen Diplomacy
Vacancy No: 077
Organization: GIZ, Global Hydrogen Diplomacy (H2-Diplo)
GIZ. Solutions that work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020)
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. Since 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently, 464 national and regional employees, 66 international employees, 6 integrated experts, and 3 development advisors are working in the country (June 2022).
- The project “Global Hydrogen Diplomacy (H2-Diplo)” supports the German Federal Foreign Office and the German embassies in their dialogue on CO2-neutral hydrogen with fossil fuel exporting countries.
- The aim is to show these countries ways in which they can diversify their energy and fuel economy in the long term using green hydrogen and its derivatives.
- For Nigeria, the German-Nigerian Hydrogen Office in Abuja implements the dialogue measures and partner advisory services on site. In collaboration with the German Embassy and the actors of the German-Nigerian Energy Partnership, the aim is to raise awareness among Nigerian partners about the potential role of hydrogen in the sustainable orientation of their energy industry.
- The main role of the Advisor at the German-Nigerian Hydrogen Office in Abuja will be to support in the implementation of the country component “Nigeria” of the global project.
- The Advisor will support the technical and conceptual design of the energy partnership between Germany and Nigeria and carry out respective activities to achieve the aim of the component.
Activities and Deliverables:
- Support in implementation and project management in close coordination with the component head in Abuja and programme management in Berlin
- Contribute to the support and technical design of the foreign energy policy dialogue with Nigeria in close coordination with the German Embassy as well as with the political partners and the stakeholders of the German-Nigerian Energy Partnership
- Contribute to advising the German Foreign Office and the German Embassy on hydrogen and energy transition issues; and regular reporting on energy policy developments in Nigeria
- Supporting the networking and involvement of political partners, private sector actors, academia, think tanks, civil society and EU representatives
- Assist in the implementation of capacity-building formats for Nigerian ministries and other Nigerian stakeholders (e.g. technical workshops, study tours, expert studies)
- Plan, prepare and conduct high-profile conferences, workshops, study trips and other events
- Support the procurement of goods and services
- Research and analytical work
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the Head of component.
Required Qualifications, Competencies and Experience
- A Degree in Political Science, Economics, Engineering, Geosciences or comparable Academic qualifications
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in public and private sectors, ideally related to the energy sector and business development. Expertise in the field of energy policy and hydrogen is an advantage
- Experience working with government stakeholders in national and/or regional policy development, implementation in energy transition activities and/or oil and gas sector.
- Experience across multiple contexts and an understanding of international policy debates and challenges in climate and economics.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Excellent writing, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills across a range of stakeholders
- Proven ability to network and develop partnerships across a range of stakeholders and track record of managing complex multi-stakeholder strategies.
- Strong understanding of energy transition issues including global environment and development dynamics that influence resource allocation by governments and development organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in relationship management with senior leaders and high-level audiences.
- Proven analytic, conceptual and strategic skills, proactiveness and self-motivation
- Business fluent in English. German is an advantage.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4
Application Closing Date
24th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: email@example.com using “vacancy no. 077″as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.