International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agronomy Officer
Location: Shani, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Position: Nigerian nationals only
- The Agronomy Officer is responsible for the overall management implementation & monitoring of agriculture asset creation activities in the Nutrition, Livelihoods and Resilience project in Shani LGA.
- The Agronomy Officer will technically be supervised and supported by the Project Manager.
- Conduct rapid assessment to identify specific operational villages/locations
- Lead the process of beneficiary selection as per the criteria set by the project in collaboration with local administrations and community representatives
- Lead community based participatory planning exercise and development of community action plans for agriculture asset creation activities
- Lead the implementation of the agriculture assets creation component of the project as per the timeframe, budget and resources set and implement the project within the specified parameters
- Actively participate in conducting the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) in collaboration with the M&E officer
- Actively engage in formation of local committees and community mobilization
- Facilitate and provide community agriculture trainings in collaboration with relevant line ministries
- Joint planning and provide capacity building activities with the program manager
- Maximize the nutritional sensitivity of the project by working closely with nutrition program team.
- Provide capacity building and backstopping to agronomy assistants/volunteers under your supervision
- Prepare and submit regular internal reports on all agriculture asset creation activities and prepare external reports as per the donor format
- Implement seed and tools distribution
- Build capacity of beneficiaries of agriculture, crop production and post-harvest related activities, and conduct scheduled regular visits to their farms
- Participate in food security & livelihoods related assessment missions with other stakeholders in the area representing International Medical Corps
- Actively represent International Medical Corps in food security and livelihoods cluster and early recovery coordination meetings
- Capture lessons learnt from monitoring and evaluations, document success stories, and replicate successful projects and scale up.
- Understand the gaps in food security and come up with project idea, write concept notes and share with technical supervisor.
- If required, lead the process of national staff recruitment in close collaboration with Nutrition Coordination and FSL manager, Human Resource and train the newly hired staff
- Work with M&E team to develop monitoring tool, sending weekly update to the program manager, follow up closely and update the team if the situation in the ground is changing quickly
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps.
- As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Qualifications and Experience
- B.Sc in Agriculture or other relevant fields with four years of field experience in food security, agriculture, and livelihoods, including experience in early recovery and development contexts.
- Experience in assessment, community consultations, program design and evaluation and technical training and support.
- An up-to date understanding of food security, emergency response, early recovery, food security and livelihoods concepts.
- Familiarity with design and programming processes of different donors
- Proficient analytical skills that demonstrate an understanding of the current concepts, priorities, and issues in program monitoring, data collection and evaluation.
- Skills in implementing food security programs
- Ability to exhibit tact, diplomacy, and resourcefulness in dealing with high level officials from donor agencies, international organizations, and other foreign and domestic government officials and partners.
- Must have excellent English written and oral communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with other departments within International Medical Corps, donors, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector
- Accountability is required to develop and achieve activities.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email and utilization of the internet
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver IMC’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations.
Application Closing Date
24th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to “the Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via: [email protected] using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the mail.
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise, applications will not be considered.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
- Due to the urgent need for the position applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the reporting email address provided at the end of this document.
- International Medical Corps’ Reporting email address: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com Please do not submit your CV or application to the reporting email address, it will not be considered for review.