The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Accountant – FMD
Requisition ID: 1516
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Finance Officer
Directorate/Department : Finance
Division : Financial Management
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: GSA5
Number of Positions: 2
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide operational support in financial, accounting, administrative and treasury services in order to meet legislative requirements and support AU operations.
- Provides timely operational support;
- Participates in activity planning of the division;
- Prepares operational work schedules and follow up implementation;
- Coordinates and/or engage in technical assistance and/or logistical work;
- Assists in the creation, improvement and maintenance of operational processes and systems;
- Prepares office communication and draft reports;
- Handles communication at operational level and provide update;
- Compiles and maintains data and information for preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, activities etc.
- Collects and collates DSA payables (Airline and agents) in readiness for posting/release
- Gathers imprests in readiness for payment
- Collates and vets inter office payables prior to release
- Process interbank Transfers
- Maintains data veracity in SAP
- Service Missions and process all other payables
- Reviews documents for completeness and process all payables (PTSD);
- Process all inter office payments and undertakes Continuous Vendor clearing
- Periodically review all open items in vendors and take appropriate action as required
- Process VAT and Telephone receivable claims
- Safeguards all vouchers including supporting documents for review by both internal and external auditors;
- Provides support in the preparation of financial reports and assists in performance of various clerical duties;
- Settles imprest, travel claims and other advances for Partners funded programmes;
- Ensures ageing analysis of imprest and travel claims on a regular basis to keep clean and up to date;
- Prepares responses to external and internal audit queries and assist in the implementation of audit findings;
- Posts journal entries into the SAP system and reconcile interoffice accounts;
- Analyses and uploads bank data onto the SAP Bank Module from prepared excel files;
- Participates in the preparation of Bank reconciliation reports;
- Investigates and follow up all outstanding items on statement reports of bank reconciliation;
- Follows-up with internal and external audit reports related to any reconciliation issues raised in reports;
- Follows-up periodic currency revaluation procedures on SAP system;
- Processes and verify all bank payment and ensure that the accompanying supporting documents are complete and accurate;
- Processes monthly payroll and related staff emoluments;
- Keeps and updates financial records of the office;
- Maintains updated Personnel data (staff contract, leave management, up-to-date personnel information…);
- Maintains up to date files for service providers/contracts;
- Journalize monthly exchange and bank charges on the various payments effected through Foreign and Local bank accounts;
- Adjusts the local bank balance at the end of each month;
- Prepares Financial Statements to be audited;
- Prepares Financial Reports for consideration by the Supervisor;
- Ensures that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained accurately;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Diploma in Accounting or Finance or related filed, with three (3) years of relevant work experience in the areas of Accounting / Finance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or related filed, with two (2) years of relevant work experience in the areas of Accounting / Finance.
- Conscientious in observing deadlines and achieving results
- Familiarity with international and regional policy processes and policy analysis in the relevant area
- Analytical skills
- Knowledge in Microsoft suite (Excel, Word etc.)
- Interpersonal skills
- Able to communicate orally and in writing
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish), fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating Clearly
- Trouble shooting
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Task Focused
- Continuous Improvement Awareness
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.000 (GSA 5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
15th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.