FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, WASH
Location: Dikwa, Borno
Supervisor: Field Coordinator
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- The ATO- WASH will provide technical and programmatic support in one of the three field sites. Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator, the ATO WASH will supervise contracts to provide upgrades to water systems, latrines, showers and water points
- Other responsibilities will include conducting water quality testing for all water points rehabilitated under the program and working with Community Volunteers and latrine users to develop cleaning and maintenance schedules for latrines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH construction activities according to technical standards, as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipment.
- Overseeing the quality of the need assessment and technical assessment. You will develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training.
- Implementing the FHI 360 WASH project by planning, integrating and managing the project cycle and creating timely internal and external reports.
- Representing FHI 360 externally in both the Humanitarian Community and with Government/LGAs officials as well as developing strong links with WASH and NGO actors. Actively participate in WASH meetings and other Government/UN forums at LGA level.
- Assist in the coordination and supervision of all the WASH construction (water points and latrines) activities in the IDP camps and community in the LGAs.
- Liaise with Water Technician at the LGA level to conduct monthly/Quarterly water quality surveillance/testing programme.
- In collaboration with Environmental Health Officer, monitor WASH NFIs supply chain and stock levels in collaboration with warehouse/stores and logistics.
- Work along with team to ensure reliant water supply for all purposes throughout the IDP camps in the LGA.
- Ensure appropriate and safe collection, transport, treatment and disposal of all liquid and solid wastes in the IDP camps.
- Compile weekly, monthly, quarterly plans and reports on general Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion project works in the project implementation area for strategic interventions.
- This is not an exhaustive list of the duties and responsibilities of this post and the post-holder may, from time to time, be required to undertake any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as requested.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.A / B.S in Civil Engineering or related field with 1 to 3 years relevant experience in WASH with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
- Familiarity with Humanitarian NGOs.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming in emergency situations.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regard to engineering latrines, showers and water points.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa communication.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online