International Finance Corporation (IFC) a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries. The Bank Group has set two goals for the world to achieve by 2030: end extreme poverty and promote shared prosperity in every country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Associate Investment Officer, Venture Capital
Job #: req12635
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
- IFC – a member of the World Bank Group – is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
- IFC’s Disruptive Technologies and Funds Group (“CDF”) invests in private sector companies globally. IFC’s CDF has a track record of successful investments in direct venture capital across many sub-verticals, building out start-up business and co-investing alongside growth equity funds, and in venture capital funds.
- CDF is unique for both its regional and global prospective on the venture capital space, long-term approach to investments, ability to leverage the resources of the entire World Bank Group, as well as its commitment to maximizing the value for its portfolio companies through sustained assistance.
- The Disruptive Technologies and Venture Capital team (“CDFDT”) invests in venture/early growth companies that offer innovative technologies or business models with high impact potential in Emerging Markets. By executing transactions at earlier stages than IFC’s more traditional business lines, the venture capital team enhances the organization’s strong commitment to innovation, support to local businesses, and helps accelerate cross border technology transfers.
- The IFC’s Disruptive Technologies and Venture Capital team is looking to recruit an Associate Investment Officer in IFC’s Lagos Office to support the current team in developing and executing new business opportunities, as well as managing investment portfolio and local client relationships primarily in Africa.
- The Associate Investment Officer will play an active role in participating in the local office’s and the region’s business activities, interact directly with local and global clients, and will work with colleagues from Headquarters (Washington DC), Africa, MENA and other regional offices.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Conduct industry and market research/ mapping to identify a pipeline of good quality investment opportunities.
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new venture capital transactions.
- Help supervise investments in portfolio companies and manage internal IFC procedures including preparation of portfolio reports and related compliance related information.
- Conduct analysis of and follow up on new business opportunities and liaise extensively with colleagues worldwide.
- Lead and support due diligence and drafting of investment recommendation documentation for investment decisions.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities.
- Coordinate closely with IFC’s business risk functions to ensure maintenance of the highest corporate governance, environmental and social, and integrity standards.
- Masters Degree required.
- At least 5 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, consulting, investment banking, equity research.
- Candidates which have a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments preferred.
- Strong interest in venture investing and emerging technology areas.
- Strong familiarity with financial software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office suite, research and financial databases, etc.)
- Proven track record in nurturing client relationships; business development;
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients ‘needs effectively, notably in a fragile business environment;
- Work experience in Africa is a plus;
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients,
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work successfully with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in and analytical knowledge of emerging markets is important.
- Experience in portfolio management. Having prior experience attending investee company board meetings and supporting senior partners and portfolio CEOs/Founders will be viewed positively.
- Fluency in spoken and written English; a multi-lingual background will be viewed upon favorably.
- Required Language(s): English
- Preferred Language(s): French, Portugese, Arabic
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2021 at 11:59pm UTC.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online