The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Basketball Coach (Male & Female)
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Reports to: Athletics Director
Summary of Description
- The Basketball Coach will be responsible for planning, coaching, and recruiting for Basketball activities.
- S/he will also manage and direct the Basketball program.
- S/he will recruit basketball players, decide player positions, guide player’s performance, and instruct players on proper technique.
- The coach will be in charge of setting tryouts, selecting a team, and setting play and practice schedules. The coach will also serve as a mentor to players and help foster teamwork.
- S/he will coach both female and male students.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Assist in maintaining high academic standards for all student-athletes.
- Work cooperatively with other athletic coaches in order to operate a well-balanced athletic program.
- Foster among the participants and spectators an appreciation of the values of athletics, a desire to win, an attitude of good sportsmanship, and a sense of pride in self.
- Direct the training, conditioning, and performance of the AUN basketball team.
- Act as a positive influence upon the behaviour of members of his/her athletic staff and teams.
- Be present and personally direct the team at all AUN contests and be present at as many contests as possible.
- Responsible for the supervision of his/her athletes at invitational meets or post-season competitions.
- Recommend the type and amount of equipment and supplies needed to conduct the sports program.
- Provide for the inventory and care of equipment.
- Advise the supervisor on the condition of athletic facilities and needs for their preparation and maintenance.
- Ensure that lists of all players eligible for athletic contests are prepared and maintained.
- Removal of athletes from the team(s) when training or eligibility regulations have not been met.
- Ensure that all athletes have undergone and passed medical examinations before the regular practice season begins or competitions.
- Organize a system for encouraging students to try out for his/her team and to develop and recruit equipment manager(s), scorekeepers, statisticians, ball runners, etc. for all teams.
- Collect and keep on file records, statistics, news items, and photographs for the athletic teams under his/her supervision.
- Observe sub varsity practices and games.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements for the Position
- At least ND or B.Sc preferred with two year(s) working experience as a basketball coach in a reputable Institution.
- Must be able to perform physical activities, such as but not limited to, bending, standing, climbing or walking.
- Must be able to work safely in an environment.
- Routinely required to work under different weather conditions.
- Effective English – verbal and written communication.
- Strong knowledge of basketball skills and procedures.
- Ability to work as a team player.
Other Requirements, Abilities for the Position:
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Ability to understand and maintain the confidentiality of student and all other information and records of a confidential nature.
- Ability to supervise and train others.
- Ability to stress the importance of the total student-athlete experience on the AUN campus.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, leadership, and motivational skills.
- Available to work nights and weekends according to the varying needs of all components of the position.
- Available for extensive travel for games and student-athlete recruitment.
Description of Benefits
- Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as per AUN salary scale.
Application Closing Date
28th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Submit their Resumes, Cover letters and References on a single file in a word document or PDF format to: [email protected]. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- This position is a local one open to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria and expatriates.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion, and marital status.