BBC World Service | BBC Pidgin Recruitment: BBC World Service | BBC Pidgin Recruitment Career Portal opens. Apply HERE. The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Broadcast Journalist (Social Media) – BBC Pidgin
- Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/50008
- Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Full Time
- Job Category: Journalism
- Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- Job family: Journalism
- Band: D
- Responsible for output on social media platforms, including editorial control, reporting, selection and compilation of material, production, leading teams and planning and implementing effective use of resources.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for originating and producing stories which may include scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output.
- Commission and select relevant materials ensuring they meet expectations of our audiences and adhere to the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
- Create and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, content analysis and audience identification.
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video) that builds meaningful connections and sustains audience engagement (especially female and young audiences).
- Continuously retain old and new audiences by capturing and analyzing appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on the information.
- May be required to undertake on-air reporting, may be required to film and edit material for broadcast where appropriate.
- May include the production and presentation of live or recorded programmes.
- May be required to present live or recorded content on radio, TV or online.
- Deliver journalism of the highest standard and within the required timeframe using available resources.
- To act as a facilitator of change, clearly communicating and distributing best practices between teams.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- A high standard of editorial judgment, writing ability and production skills based on substantial broadcast journalism experience.
- Excellent track record of growing audiences on social media platforms.
- Good understanding of social and digital trends.
- Ability to connect with young and female audiences.
- Ability to maximise opportunities offered by existing and emerging technologies to their fullest extent.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
- Ability to manage resources, staff, technical facilities and budgets, in the most cost effective manner.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- Significant level of responsibility. Uses initiative but seeks guidance where necessary.
- No line management responsibility but may mentor more junior staff.
- A senior journalist covering a wide range of journalism activity, with significant experience and responsibility for programme/content creation.
Application Closing Date
2nd August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online