Helen Keller International (HKI) – Established in 1915, is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 21 countries in Africa and Asia, as well as in the United States.
HKI implements integrated package of cost-effective interventions that are proven to improve maternal and child nutrition. HKI supports policies and programs on food fortification, vitamin A supplementation, infant and young child feeding, nutrition-sensitive agriculture, community-based management of acute malnutrition and prevention and treatment of neglected tropical diseases. At the core of HKI’s programs is advocacy and social behavior change communication to various stakeholders. HKI also undertakes cutting-edge research to influence policy decisions and inform program quality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Capacity Strengthening Officer
>>>CLICK HERE to Join JOBS IN NIGERIA & OVERSEAS Telegram Channel
- The USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners.
- The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition.
- Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
- The overall purpose of the project in Nigeria is to provide technical support to the Government of Nigeria, and other nutrition stakeholders and generate evidence to enhance nutrition programming toward achieving the overall goal of improving nutrition for a healthy, productive, and resilient Nigeria.
Scope of the Position
- The Capacity Strengthening Officer will work with all members of the project team to guide capacity building activities.
- She/he will facilitate and coordinate all training and capacity strengthening aspects of the project for stakeholders and project team.
- S/he will work closely with partners and stakeholders while delivering training sessions and be responsible for effective internal and external capacity building engagements and trainings.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Program Officer [PO1] , s/he will be responsible for planning, budgeting and successfully delivering the project’s capacity building plans and objectives.
- Conduct a capacity needs assessment of the project and stakeholders and based on findings, develop a capacity development plan and ensure its timely implementation.
- Work with project team to identify and propose priority training and capacity sessions for staff and stakeholders.
- Effectively manage all budget items related to trainings and capacity buildings to ensure that spending is timely and in accordance with USAID and Helen Keller requirements.
- Ensure that all respective sectors have access to training and professional development resources appropriate to their skill gaps/needs.
- Where necessary identify and manage consultants to provide technical and institutional training in accordance to the requirements of the participating communities and based on the assessments provided.
- Work closely with other team members to develop and review appropriate training materials, guidance, and procedures
- Maintain clear records and data on all trainings and capacity building sessions in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer. Prepare activity and training reports.
- Identify training needs of beneficiaries and stakeholders and coordinate the state teams to cover the gaps
- Participate in Training of Trainers’ sessions to enable she/he rollout of relevant trainings to other staff and stakeholders
- Support the Knowledge Management and Communications Officer to document best practices, success stories and taking good pictures for report writing.
- Be responsible for organizing all high level meetings at national level. Ensure that meeting objectives are clearly defined and ensure that meetings are structured to meet these objectives
- Conduct capacity needs assessments t state and national levels
- Develop training plans and budgets:
- Prepare training reports detailing training outcomes; records and data on trainings conducted
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent related experience
- Required: At least 6 years’ experience in supporting capacity building initiatives at community level. Organizational development experience is highly desirable
- Experience in managing training programs for government and civil society organizations especially at state level,
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent communication, listening and facilitation skills especially in adult learning
- Ability to apply conceptual models to support project implementation
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative team environment
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills including demonstrated communication and personnel
- management skills.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Adaptable, creative, collaborative and able to think strategically.
- Purpose-driven and outcome-focused
- Operate as a nimble learner, has a growth mindset.
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to travel regularly to the project states (Bauchi, Kebbi and Sokoto) as needed.
Terms & Conditions
- This is a local posting in Nigeria, and as such, is subject to local terms and conditions.
- In the spirit of our founder and namesake, Helen Keller is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is fully valued.
- We are an Equal Opportunity Employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
- We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need to request an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact us at the email above.
Application Closing Date
31st December, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a Cover Letter and Resume as one document to: [email protected] using the job title and the location as the subject of the email.
Note: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.