Nigerian Electricity Supply Corporation (Nigeria) Limited [NESCO (Nigeria) Limited] is incorporated under the Companies Act of the Laws of Nigeria. Its core business is to generate, distribute, supply and retail electric power in Plateau State and adjacent States.
In its drive to ensure improved and sustained efficiency and effectiveness in delivery of its mandate with strategic leadership and management, NESCO (Nigeria) Limited is recruiting fully qualified, highly motivated, and well experienced persons to fill the rewarding vacant position below:
Job Title: Chief Accountant
Job Purpose and Functions
- As Head of Finance, the Chief Accountant shall be responsible to the Managing Director in the performance of his/her duties and responsibilities to effectively manage the Finance Functions of [NESCO (Nigeria) Limited] including Management Accounting and Financial Accounting.
- As part of the Management Team, she/he will be a key player in formulating and implementing the Corporation’s short-, medium-, and long-term strategic plans; and
- The Chief Accountant provide strategic leadership, direction and guidance on prudent use and management of [NESCO (Nigeria) Limited’’s financial and material resources to enable the Corporation to achieve its goals and objectives in the most efficient and effective manner.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Chief Accountant’s key duties and responsibilities are many and varied. He/She shall be responsible, but not limited, for the following:
- Providing strategic financial leadership to the Corporation for the formulation of financial accounting strategies in order to ensure that financial services contribute effectively and efficiently to the goals and objectives of the Corporation;
- Advising and interpreting Corporation’s plans, policies, regulations relating to finances;
- Supervising all aspects of the Corporation’s financial management and accounting functions including preparation of financial statements and production of cost, management, revenue and expenditure accounts and reports timely and presenting the same to the Board of Directors with the Managing Director;
- Interpreting and advising the Board, Managing Director, and Management Team on financial policy & matters and establishing appropriate policies, systems, regulations, and procedures to ensure compliance with legal and professional standards;
- Ensuring prudent management of company assets and stocks;
- Coordinating the preparation/consolidation of the Corporation’s annual budgets and forecasts;
- Monitoring and controlling expenditure patterns of the Corporation to ensure adherence to budget policies, systems and procedures;
- Preparation/Coordination of the production of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial operational reports as well as other reports as required and financial statements on the performance of the Corporation for the information and decision making of the Board, Managing Director and Management Team;
- Advising the Board, Managing Director, and Management Team on sourcing and negotiations of external and internal financing of procurement and major projects and ensuring compliance with financing terms and conditions
- Ensuring implementation of an appropriate system of accounting and adequate & effective financial controls that comply with finance management policies & standards and financial regulations;
- Establishing, reviewing and ensuring maintenance of sound management systems including ensuring adherence to established rules, policies, and regulations on finance and procurement matters;
- Monitoring cash and bank balances, and short-term and long-term investments;
- Engaging internal and external auditors to conduct audits as and when they are due and ensuring a close working relationship with them to prepare opinions, assist them access data and information required for effective and efficient audit in order to produce audit reports in time.
- Maintaining good working relationship with the Corporation’s partners, clients, employees and banks in the course of business dealings;
- Identifying capacity development needs of the finance department and staff and participating in the recruitment, induction, performance appraisal, career management and facilitation of access to relevant and appropriate training and development programs in line with the career development path of the Corporation;
- Supervising staff under his/her charge to ensure that the Department provides an acceptable level of financial, administration and management services support to core functions of the Corporation;
- Attending meetings to represent the interests of the Corporation and answering queries on financial matters; and
- Carrying out any other duties relevant to the post as assigned by the Managing Director.
Minimum Qualifications and Work Experience
- The ideal candidates should have a minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting / Accountancy or Higher National Diploma with Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) plus a Master’s Degree in Accounting / Accountancy from a recognized University or Polytechnic.
- They must be registered members of accounting professional bodies such as Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) and/or Association of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN) with full professional qualifications such as ACA, CAN, ACCA, CPA or CIMA.
- Applicants with relevant Masters Degree such as in Accounting or Finance or Business Administration will have an added advantage.
- They must have at least eight (8) years relevant post qualification professional working experience of which at least three (3) years should be at Senior Management position level.
Required Key / Core Competencies, Attributes, and Skills
- Excellent working knowledge of financial management & accounting packages and proficiency skills in Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel and Access);
- Have strong analytical and excellent interpersonal & organisational skills to deal with diverse workforce;
- Have excellent oral & written communication and negotiating skills;
- Be self-motivated, customer focused, goal driven, innovative, results/action oriented and a team player with strong teamwork & leadership abilities and organisational skills for coaching and developing employees;
- Be of high integrity; and
- Have a passion for power utility developments.
- The position require persons who have demonstrable capacity to initiate innovations geared at making NESCO (Nigeria) Limited a rejuvenated, vibrant, and competitive power utility company.
- The right interested candidates should have prospects to build a meaningful career within the Electricity Supply Industry.
Application Closing Date
31st October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications, under confidential Cover Letter either by post, courier or e-mail, enclosing Copies of Certificates, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) with names, postal and e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of Three (3) Traceable Referees to:
The Chairman of the Board of Directors,
Nigerian Electricity Supply Corporation (Nigeria) Limited,
10 Barkin Ladi Road,
P. O. Box 15,
Bukuru, Jos South,
Plateau State, Nigeria.
Send electronic copies of Application to: email@example.com
- Those who already applied for this position during the past one year do not need to apply again.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged and invited for interviews.