The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication and Database Officer
>>>CLICK HERE to Join JOBS IN NIGERIA & OVERSEAS Telegram Channel
Requisition ID: 852
Location: Banjul, The Gambia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Public Relations/ Information Officer
Directorate/Department: African Commission on Human and People’s Rights ACHPR
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P1
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Provides technical support for the operations of the Communication and Complaints Database in line with the ACHPR’s management information strategy
- Provides technical support in the preparation and implementation of programmes developed out of the ACHPR’s Strategic plan
- Supports the development and implementation of the ACHPR’s promotional strategy
- Prepares draft reports and work programmes related to the functioning of the Unit
- Generates reports in a timely manner for the Unit
- Liaises with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Prepares budgets for the Unit in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Provides IT support for resource mobilization activities
- Prepares guidelines and fact sheets as may be required.
- Analyzes existing data, and updates the database
- Undertakes monitoring and evaluation activities
- Manages the electronic Database of communications related to ACHPR programmes
- Updates and manages the Database of Communications considered by the Commission with appropriate indexing, reflecting their current status
- Maintains a proper record of all Communications submitted to the Commission
- Develops an online system for tracking Communications
- Uploads documents for dissemination on the ACHPR’s website
- Manages subscriptions to other legal databases (e.g. Lexis-Nexis and Westlaw) to facilitate the research that underpins the legal work of the Commission
- Manages multimedia and journalists database(s)
- Develops and maintains web-based applications and databases (Oracle, SQL or MySQ)
- Provides data processing services and specialized assistance in the use of applications and technological development;
- Setup, Administer and Review Database backups and Archives
- Undertakes User Security, Access Management and Audits
- Conducts Database monitoring and Health management
- Undertakes Database disaster recovery planning
- Schedules and performs periodic reviews to harmonize data needs
- Develops learning materials and trains staff members in new work methods and procedures,
- Submits proposals for the formulation of policies related to the information management system,
- Provides technical support (instructions and procedural manuals) for the implementation of approved work methods and procedures
- Performs any other relevant duties as may be directed or required
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Must hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field
- Must have professional certificates in Database Management and Development, Web Development as well as Open Source Server Administration
- Candidates must have a minimum of two (2) years of continuous professional experience in the field of ICT
- Must have minimum of two (2) years working experience in Multimedia and Journalists Database Management
- Knowledge of Database applications and Website Development is required
- Working experience in communication and information department in multilateral, regional or international organization will also be an added advantage
- Good knowledge of the African Union policies and procedures
- Concentration, accuracy, and ability to work under minimum supervision and under pressure
- Demonstrable leadership abilities
- Strong mathematical analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment
- Good communication and planning skills
- Excellent knowledge of international organizations
- Respect for confidentiality and good public relations
- Strategic Insight..
- Change Management..
- Managing Risk..
- Core Competencies
- Building Relationships…
- Accountable and Complies with Rules..
- Learning Orientation..
- Communicating with Influence…
- Conceptual thinking…
- Job Knowledge Sharing…
- Drive for Results…
- Continuous improvement orientation…
Enure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 25,523.00 (P11 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 13,248.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
20th December, 2021.