International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Operationalisation of SOP on Return, Readmission and Reintegration
SVN No.: CFCV2022/068
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 3 month
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer (MM), to support the operationalization of the Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) on Return, Readmission and Reintegration through capacity building of key actors working on return and reintegration at federal level and five states of high and sensitization of the National Migration Inter-Ministerial Committee.
- Migration in Nigeria is triggered by a combination of multifaceted factors such as insecurity, food and nutrition crises, demographic pressure in addition to more traditional seasonal and socioeconomic drivers.
- In December 2016, to address some of these challenges and respond to the needs of vulnerable and stranded migrants, the EU and the IOM developed the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration.
- To ensure better management of Migration in the Country, Nigeria has in 2015 adopted a National Migration Policy (NMP).
- The NMP recognizes Return, Readmission and Reintegration (RRR) as a fundamental component of Migration Management.
- Hence, one of the five (5) migration thematic groups created by the NMP is the thematic group on Force Migration, Return, Readmission and Reintegration (FMRRR).
- In line with its institutional mandate and the NMP, the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants, and Internally Displaced Persons (NCFRMI) coordinates the thematic group on FMRRR.
- The NMP also urges the creation of standards, procedures, and modalities for the conduct of RRR in Nigeria. In line with this and with operational and technical support provided within the implementation context of the EU/IOM JI, the SOP on RRR was revised and validated by stakeholders on 2nd October 2019. The SOP seeks to close the gaps identified In the implementation of the first SOP, by introducing fundamental innovations in the conduct of RRR in Nigeria.
- These improvements Include: integration of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and more MDAs with roles In the RRR process.
- The SOP also Identified and clarified key terminologies, incorporated data protection principles and underlying principles guiding the whole process as well as gave elaborate details and timelines for activities covering all phases of the RRR process, ranging from predeparture, transportation/transit, arrival, and reintegration assistance as well as monitoring and evaluation. Furthermore, the SOP made adequate provisions for reintegration assistance to all returnees and tailored assistance to migrants with specific needs.
- The consultancy is implemented within the Special Measure Programme. The Special Measure Programme is a continuation of the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration and as such, builds upon and complements the existing local, national, and regional partnerships.
- The Programme including the interventions on the protection, return, reintegration, and sensitization activities is implemented in close collaboration with the government authorities at national and local levels.
- In this regard, the need to build the capacities of MDAs with the mandate to provide services to returning Migrants was identified a major priority for the country with the aim of ensuring the operationalization of the SOP on RRR.
- To this end, the consultancy will provide technical assistance to MDA at the Federal and state levels with the aim of enhancing their appreciation of their roles and responsibilities, identifying challenges, and proffering recommendations to
- the National Migration Inter-Ministerial Committee.
- The overall objective of the consultancy is to enhance coordination, collaboration, and complementarity for an effective and sustainable RRR regime In Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Identify all relevant migration actors involve in reintegration in each of the States, including returnees and Media leveraging on existing reintegration structures.
- Facilitate training workshops for operatives from the FMHDSD and NCFRMI
- Conduct a high-level sensitization workshop on RRR for the National Migration Inter-Ministerial Committee.
- Facilitate five (5) training workshops at the 5 states of high return aimed at operationalizing the SOP on RRR. The training methodology would include practical simulation of the RRR process following the identification of roles and responsibilities of Actors.
- Work with the Government of Nigeria and IOM in drafting and finalization each State Specific Strategic plan for the operationalisation of the SoP, by taking into cognizance existing Reintegration structures in each state and peculiarities.
- Produce Two (2) approved reports (the report on the high-level sensitization workshop with key recommendations and the second report on the 5 States level workshops including FMHDSD and NCFRMI.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
- Timely execution of assigned responsibility
- 20% of the consultancy fees will be paid after the approval of the inception report, concept note and agenda for the task.
- 40% of the consultancy fees will be paid after facilitating the high-level sensitization workshops and the 5 State level workshops.
- 40% of the consultancy fees will be paid after the approval of the final reports and submission of all appropriate document. The report should include the State Specific Strategic plan for the operationalisation of the SoP on
- RRR, by taking into cognizance existing Reintegration structures at each state and peculiarities.
Tangible and Measurable Output of the work assignment
- Detailed workplan and inception report including preparatory documents for the training.
- Mapping of all the relevant Actors in each of the States including Government partners, CSOs, Returnees & Media and share each state sensitization strategies with IOM, NCFRMI and FMHDSD.
- Develop agenda, concept note and training manual/guide on the SoP on return, readmission, and reintegration.
- Facilitate training workshop for operatives from FMHDSD and NCFRMI
- Facilitate a sensitization workshop for the National Migration Inter-Ministerial Committee.
- Facilitate five (3-day State’s level) workshops for 5 States of high return for the operationalisation of the SoP on Return, Readmission and Reintegration. The workshops would be held in Edo, Enugu, Lagos, Kano and Nassarawa states.
|Participating States||Workshop Location|
|Enugu, Delta & Imo||Enugu|
|Kano & Yobe||Kano|
|Lagos, Ogun & Oyo||Lagos|
- Work with the Government of Nigeria and IOM in drafting and finalization each State
- Specific Strategic plan for the operationalisation of the SoP, by taking into cognizance existing Reintegration structures at each state and peculiarities.
- Submission of two Final Reports that meet IOM’s standards, capturing key discussions, results, recommendations, and covering:
- The report of the high-level sensitization workshop for National Migration Inter-Ministerial Committee including key recommendations.
- The report of the training workshops on the operationalisation of SoP in the federal level and 5 States of high return including key recommendations.
- The key recommendations from the training workshops and the high-level Sensitization workshop should be attached to the final reports.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Post-Graduate or University Degree, preferably in Social Sciences, with a specialization in (Migration, Geography, International Population Studies,) or equivalent training with 5 years of relevancy in migration specifically on return and reintegration activities in Nigeria including Migration Dialogue.
- Experience in working in Africa will be an advantage.
- A good track record of work with the Government of Nigeria and international organizations is preferred.
- Excellent drafting and reporting ability.
- Fluent spoken and written English. Ability to speak and write in one or more Nigerian languages will be an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good interviewing and listening skills.
- Proven extensive meeting and workshop facilitating experience.
- Familiarity with local and International Migration matters.
- Yes, travel is required.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of multiple languages advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is actionoriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
7th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying their motivation for application addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” via: HRNIGERIA@iom.intusing “CFCV2022/068 Abuja. Consultant – Operationalisation of SOP on Return, Readmission and Reintegration” as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply online
Note: All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).