Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria – We attract talented individuals. Not only can they give you the benefit of their experience, they also reveal a closer, more personal look at the wide range of global opportunities we offer. At the core of the Group’s people strategy is our focus on employee engagement. Engagement is a key driver of productivity and performance, which creates the foundation of our performance culture. We encourage and focus on the behaviours that bring out the very best from every employee, assessing their performance not just on results but on how those results were achieved. To further embed these behaviours we have a remuneration programme in place, carefully designed to incentivise our employees to live our values every day.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, BBD Banker
Job ID: 2200021250
Job: Institutional Banking
Employee Status: Permanent
- Whilst maintaining responsibility as the primary global client contact, a Senior Global Account Manager (“GAM”) role is more importantly one of a trusted strategic advisor to the Client (especially in the absence of a specialised Financial Institutions Industry team).
- A Senior GAM is expected to lead strategic Industry specialist discussions, as well as identify solutions and bring in the right product partners to execute on proposals.
- A Senior BBD GAM should be able to take on expanded coverage of other Financial Institutions as well as Banks & Broker Dealers if required (Institutional Clients, including Real Money Funds, Hedge Funds and Insurance).
- Responsible as the primary global client contact delivering the best product the bank has to offer by mobilising RAM’s, FAM’s, product partners & new ideas into each client relationships.
- As well as the GAM being the strategic advisor to the Client, the GAM is accountable for the overall client group revenues, profitability and risk acceptance (AML, CDD and Credit).
- The GAM is responsible for Account Plans, establishing and maintaining an end to end understanding of the client group structure and client needs and steering the client relationship. Define and agree the relationship strategy for the client and drive the global execution.
- Identifies and acts on opportunities to create new partnerships by working closely with the coverage team and product partners to ensure execution of Account plans.
- Acts as a champion of the Bank’s brand, culture, and conduct standards
- The Senior GAM is also the risk owner of the client and should have a good knowledge of credit, as well as correspondent banking regulations and risks.
- Lead the origination and client relationship management for a portfolio of BBD Clients, including setting overall client strategy and account plan
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the clients’ needs and the industries / markets in which they operate
- Direct the coverage team of industry and product specialists to deliver on client strategy
- Holistic and well-designed solutions across our full range of products to clients
- Overall client profitability, pipeline in particular the cross-sell commitments made as part of the Account Planning and deal approval processes
- Active engagement and high level (‘C’ suite) contacts with senior executives within clients. Maintain a strong working relationship with Risk, Legal and Compliance and other key stakeholders
- Lead the development and implementation of the client strategy (working with the coverage team including product partners) for the designated portfolio as identified through the Account Planning process
- Accountability for delivering financial performance objectives (revenues, costs, RoRWA, etc)
- Accountability for all other objectives for the management and development of client relationships, specifically compliance (AML, CDD) and credit risk.
- Actively identify client needs across full set of SCB product capabilities, originate new business and grow the franchise by capitalising on bank competitive attributes (eg Network etc).Selectively developing new relationships where required.
- Engage senior management and decision makers of key clients to improve the quality of dialogue with clients, promoting a move away from ‘transactional’ reactive client coverage to consistent value added partner/trusted advisor status. Anticipate clients’ needs and provide strategic advice, bringing in the relevant product and industry partners as appropriate.
- Maximise the profitable revenue to the Bank whilst maintaining focus on client outcomes, strengthening and deepening existing relationships both at the most senior level as well as at the operating level in the clients in the designated portfolio.
- Professionally represent Standard Chartered Bank at the highest levels within region and internationally.
- Bring strategic thought and vision as to how the FI landscape regionally/globally is changing and where areas of international growth lie relevant to the client portfolio.
- Ensure that industry and product knowledge is continually developed personally and within the team.
- Stay abreast and anticipate the developments of the Industries/ markets in which our clients operate
- Proactively manage the designated client portfolio to ensure:
- Close ties exist with key stakeholders eg. Financial Markets, Transaction Banking, Corporate Finance, Risk, Country CEOs, Service Delivery, etc.
- Risks are appropriately identified and managed.
- The broader support team is suitably trained with respect to an understanding of the regulatory environment, keeping up to date with applicable changes and Group policies with ability to contribute and, where possible, influencing policy formulation
- Key regulatory risks and concerns are raised into the governance framework throughout the Global Banking team
- All sales disciplines are adhered in accordance with CIB standards i.e. Account Planning, Call Reports, Deal Pipeline Management, static data management as applicable for the role.
- Develop opportunities through attendance at key Industry events as necessary.
People and Talent:
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values for the junior broader banking staff. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Take the initiative regarding regulatory, reputational and ethical matters, taking the initiative for providing proactive advice to clients as identified. Coach and manage the team in these matters and ensure they are adequately trained in and cognisant of regulatory, reputational and ethical risks
- Embed the Group’s values and code of conduct and develop a robust culture to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among team members.
- Ensure that Risk Management matters that are brought to the job holder’s attention are subject to direct remedial action and/or ensure adequate escalation to Regional / Country Banking Heads and Group/governance committees, as appropriate
- Responsible for assessing the effectiveness of the Group’s arrangements to deliver effective governance, oversight and controls in the business and, if necessary, oversee changes in these areas
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
- Responsible for delivering ‘effective governance’; capability to challenge fellow executives effectively; and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
Regulatory & Business Conduct:
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.]*
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Engage with product partners within the region and globally to ensure breadth and depth of client coverage and deepening.
- Work with Client Managers to ensure talent development throughout the team
- Consult with senior stakeholders in Risk and Legal & Compliance to ensure that the portfolio remains credit worthy and within the policies of the bank.
- Senior point of contact with FI clients, acting as a trusted advisor to C-level stakeholders
- Peers in the Corporate Banking sector
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Banking or Finance preferred
- Broad product knowledge; deal / origination focus
- Ability to establish strong relationships with clients and internal functions to drive revenues
- Identify opportunities for referral to GAM/RM
- Solutions oriented with good communication skills
- Works well under pressure and tight deadlines
Application Closing Date
22nd August, 2022 at 11:59:00 PM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online