African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager, Operation and Maintenance, CHGS1
Position Number: 50092476
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL2
- The Vice-Presidency, Corporate Services and Human Resources (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The primary roles of the General Services and Procurement Department (CHGS) are to manage the Bank’s assets, oversee all corporate procurement of goods, services, works and real estate, coordinate all staff travel and transport of Bank’s goods and staff, catering services and other logistics arrangements and the mail services and keep staff informed about services offered.
- To this end the CHGS department formulates and applies rules for procurement, storage, and maintenance of furniture, office equipment and supply; design, prepare and implement programs for the construction or acquisition and maintenance of buildings and premises; formulate and ensure the proper and effective application of administration policies within the Bank in such areas as communications, transport, travels, security, protection and safety of the Bank’s staff and property; and perform related duties.
- The department is responsible for managing the Bank’s fixed assets (valued at over UA 100,000,000). The CHGS department comprises 3 divisions supervised by the Director General Services and Procurement. These divisions are: Operations and Maintenance Division (CHGS.1); Corporate Procurement Division (CHGS.2); and Support Services Division (CHGS.3).
- The objective of this position will be to plan, organize, direct and monitor the activities of the Operations and Maintenance Division and to provide strategic orientation in the area of management of properties and assets and real estate maintenance.
- The job holder will organize, coordinate and manage all activities related to the development and implementation of monitoring the policies, procedures and practices of properties and assets management and operations & maintenance services.
Reporting to the Director CHGS, the key areas of accountability of the Division Manager, Operations and Maintenance include:
Strategy and Business Process Support:
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Bank’s real estate strategy for both HQ and country/regional offices.
- Coordinate ongoing preparation development of policies, standards, procedures, and processes to support facility management operations (acquisition and disposal of properties, operation and maintenance, project/portfolio management) and fixed assets management.
- Coordinate the periodic revision of policies, manuals, and guidelines to align with overall Bank policies.
- Oversee the acquisition, deployment, and operation of an Integrated Facility Management System in coordination with IT and corporate procurement.
- Recruit, supervise and develop a team of 20 or more in-house staff.
- Coordination of in-house and contract staff to ensure maintenance work is carried out in a timely and effective manner.
- Plan the work of the team for optimal delivery facilities management (FM) services.
- Agree annual individual objectives and performance indicators based on the Division’s annual work plan
- Build trust and confidence through open communications and regular feedback.
- Periodic staff performance review.
Administration of Facilities Management Services:
- Day-to-day management of Facility Management (FM) services of Bank’s facilities comprising office buildings, residential compounds, off-site storage facilities with overall responsibility for building operations and maintenance, property and lease management, and fixed assets management.
- Delivery of FM services to the highest standards at HQ and in country/regional offices by i) ensuring that facilities are operated in an efficient, cost-effective and sustainable manner and in adherence to the environmental, health & safety regulations; and ii) identifying opportunities for continuous improvement of FM operations.
- Implementation of projects for the construction, rehabilitation or outfitting of office space to Bank’s standards for HQ and country/regional office facilities.
- Develop and negotiate FM service contracts and manage contracts in coordination with corporate procurement.
- Fixed asset management including the periodical assets inventory in accordance with delegated authority
- Real estate and property management, in coordination with various stakeholders (IT, budget, Legal, users).
- Workspace planning and management.
- Energy management and environmental/sustainability focus for FM under the Bank’s “Green Bank” policy.
- Lead the delivery of FM Helpdesk services.
Operational and Financial:
- Prepare, submit, deliver and manage the annual Facilities budget (OPEX & CAPEX).
- Act as the secretary of the Capital Investment Programme Steering Committee (CIPSC) which entails coordination of capital budget submissions and reporting on CAPEX budget performance across the organization.
- Ensure that adequate controls are in place for compliance with Bank’s fiduciary and safeguard policies and guidelines
- Advise, guide and report to Senior Management on Facility management, real estate and asset management issues
- Work across the organization to support all aspects of operational service delivery.
- Work in coordination with Business Continuity Unit to ensure that plans for facilities are up to date and fit for purpose.
- Ensure that audit recommendations on real estate, facilities and assets management are implemented timeously.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related technical discipline supplemented with credentials or professional training in facility management, property management and financial management.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience of which minimum three (3) years at management level.
- Practical experience and knowledge of building management, business studies, construction, engineering and building services engineering facilities management.
- Relevant experience in a multilateral development institution or reputable development organization. Experience from private sector (i.e. property management company) being an added advantage.
- Broad understanding of building and facilities management principles.
- Results oriented and focused on delivering high quality services to internal clients, with a positive outlook and “a can-do attitude”.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues and other key stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Ability to both work independently with little supervision as well as part of a multicultural team.
- Ability to embrace change and operate comfortably within an unstable and rapidly changing business and cultural environment.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team of professional staff and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way.
- Ability to build partnerships and deliver results that meets the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Capacity to initiate, spearhead and manage innovations and change.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficient in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Practical knowledge of SAP systems will be an advantage.
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online