ICAP is a global health leader situated at Columbia University, ICAP has worked since 2003 with one central goal: to improve the health of families and communities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Management Lead
- Job No: 492864
- Location: Abuja Capital Territory
- Work type: Regular Full-Time
- Categories: Program Management/Implementation/Support
- ICAP at Columbia University seeks experienced and qualified experts to serve as Emergency Management Lead for several proposed CDC-funded projects related to improving and protecting global health security (GHS) through developing capacities of government health ministries, institutions, and local partners; strengthening health information and surveillance systems and promoting initiatives that support International Health Regulation core competencies.
- ICAP is recruiting five Emergency Management Leads who will provide oversight and direction to the emergency response component of the CDC-funded project.
- Reporting to the Project Director, the Emergency Management Lead will be responsible for overseeing the planning and implementation of strategies to respond to public health crisis such as epidemics; outbreaks; intentional or accidental releases of dangerous pathogens and/or emergencies and humanitarian events that may affect, result to or further exacerbate a public health crisis at the national, regional and/or international levels.
- The Emergency Management Lead positions will be based in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Tanzania. The positions are subject to a successful funding application and final approval by the CDC.
- Oversees the planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the emergency response component of the project, including the development of project outputs, performance indicators, and targets.
- Leads the implementation of the emergency response operations plans and strategies and ensures that all deliverables (i.e., the establishment of an incident management system, development of emergency operational centers – EOCs and others) are achieved.
- Oversees and facilitates the capacity building, training, and mentoring of implementing partners, specifically the frontline responders on emergency preparedness and response with emphasis on epidemic-prone diseases, pandemics, and other public health emergencies.
- Leads the establishment and implementation of rapid response strategies for both small and large scale infectious disease outbreaks and other public health or humanitarian emergencies.
- In close collaboration with the Surveillance Lead and Monitoring and Evaluation Lead, provides advise and support in establishing mechanisms to intensify surveillance, case-finding, contact tracing, epidemiologic and laboratory analysis, program evaluation, social mobilization, community engagement, psychosocial care, as well as to continue the management of non-outbreak related public health activities as part of emergency preparedness and response strategy.
- Leads the development, improvement, and dissemination of procedures, guidelines, policies and other SOPs on emergency preparedness and response, and ensures that they are aligned with the requirements of humanitarian and disaster management standards, protocols, charters (e.g., SPHERE) as well as IHR (2005) and the global health security agenda.
- Designs and conducts monitoring, evaluation, and quality assurance needed to ensure that emergency response deliverables are on track and adhere to donor and key stakeholder requirements.
- Provides guidance and direction in strengthening field security to protect project staff and ensure operational security and continuity during an emergency response.
- Serves as the focal person as well as a technical representative for all emergency response components, including preparedness, of the project with CDC and other external stakeholders and partners.
- Responsible for resource management activities, including analyzing resources, equipment, and staff available to local emergency responses.
- Ensures that relevant project reporting, documentation, and publications related to emergency response are technically sound and are disseminated timely and appropriately.
- Advanced degree in public health, international development, disaster management, humanitarian aid with focus or specialization in epidemiology, infectious disease detection, and other relevant fields.
Experience, Skills, and Minimum Qualifications:
- At least 7 years of progressive experience in leading a national or international public health emergency response such as those related to infectious diseases, epidemics, outbreaks, intentional or accidental releases of dangerous pathogens, or other large scale natural emergencies that had a significant impact on public health. At least 5 years of which were spent in a senior project leadership role.
- Experience working in large scale international health, development, or humanitarian organizations in a resource-limited context.
- Solid understanding of international humanitarian systems, protocols, standards, and charters such as SPHERE, CHS, and other international humanitarian standards related to Health.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of national, regional, and/or international public health issues.
- Proven experience in establishing working relationships and collaborating with the U.S. government, humanitarian bilateral and/or multilateral agencies (e.g., OCHA), and with relevant host-country government agencies.
- Ability to analyze issues, draw valid conclusions, and make recommendations; to prepare and present comprehensive statistical and narrative reports; to conduct effective presentations
- Proven ability to write technical reports, program documents, and deliver presentations.
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills.
- Proven experience in handling media, representation, and advocacy.
- Willingness to travel regionally/locally or overseas approximately 40% of the time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Closing Date
20th April, 2020.