The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Field Manager (Yam Multiplication)
Reference No.: IITA-HR-NRS2021-015
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2 – year renewable contract)
- The successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Support scientists of the AfricaYam II project and Yam Breeding unit in the multiplication of true-to-type, disease and pest-free yam to ensure project goals are accomplished using high-quality planting materials
- Integrate new technology to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations including mechanization, bar-coding, electronic data collection and management, high-throughput phenotyping, and rapid multiplication techniques.
- Provide technical support, capacity development and training to the project.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of training documents (Flyer, newsletters, posters, training manuals etc.).
- Collect, collate and summarize field, screen house, and lab data using electronic devices and management software to prepare reports, monitor multiplication rate and maintain accurate inventories.
- Liaise with other units for pathogen and pest testing and to obtain phytosanitary certificates for tubers or plantlets to be distributed to partners.
- Coordinate with Germplasm Health Unit and Genetic Resource Centre staff to establish and maintain virus-free stocks of yam for back-up, multiplication, and distribution of breeding materials.
- Supervise and coordinate the implementation of the weekly plan for research technicians and field/screen house assistants.
- Prepare protocol for the multiplication of seedling, vine-cutting and tubers in screen house or field and supervise the implementation of these protocols.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Leader.
- Master’s in Plant Science or related fields with a minimum of five(5) years relevant experience in a well-structured organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be experienced in Semi Autotrophic Hydroponics and high ratio propagation of clonal crops.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
7th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA.
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.