Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Analyst
Job ID: 210005ZC
Position Type: National
Team / Programme: Nigeria Country Office
Employee Status: Permanent
>>>CLICK HERE to Join JOBS IN NIGERIA & OVERSEAS Telegram Channel
- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- This is a Finance Analyst position which is within the Country Office finance department.
- The post holder will be responsible for assisting in providing timely and accurate financial data/information for decision making, reviewing and development of budgets for active awards, phasing of budgets and forecasting, preparing and reviewing budgets and donor financial reports for accuracy, reviewing and posting of financial transactions, reviewing monthly financial performance against budgets for selected Awards, support program team and budget holders, and other financial supports that may be delegated.
- This position will be responsible for providing financial support functions required in Country Office. Using strong interpersonal/communication skills and excellent analytical skills, the incumbent will develop and maintain positive relationships with colleagues’/user departments and other business functions with a strong focus on customer service.
- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Senior Finance Manager
- Staff reporting to this post: Nil
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Ensure that Save the Children minimum standards of Finance procedures and country policies are implemented and adhered to in the area of responsibility, supporting relevant staff as required
- Ensure that transactions within the specific area of responsibility meet Save the Children and donor regulations
- The post holder is expected among other duties to manage the financials for projects/awards, assigned by the line manager or the Finance Director
- Analyses financial performance by collecting, monitoring, and studying data and recommending possible actions.
- Provide management reporting that is timely, complete and accurate.
- Ensure complete, accurate and quality budget data exist for management decision making.
- Ensuring transactions are in compliance with SCI and specific donor requirements.
Budgeting and Award Management:
- Act as finance focal point providing oversight for designated award budgets in the country office.
- Ensure that all financial transactions included in the reports under the management of this role are in line with SCI and donor requirements
- Support budget holders in preparation of annual budgets and budget monitoring reports
- Prepare quality and timely donor financial reports that meets SCI and donor requirements
- Support the Senior Finance Manager preparation of annual country master budget; provide costing inputs and ensure that all assigned awards budget are phased and the accurate/updated information for the awards are loaded/posted in the SCI financial management system
- Recommends actions by analyzing and interpreting data and making comparative analyses; studying proposed changes in methods/materials and providing accurate/timely information to management
- With respect to the assigned awards, improves financial status by analyzing results; monitoring variances; identifying trends; recommending actions to management.
- Assists with monthly close process; reviewing transaction listing/making recharges before month end to ensure appropriate coding and correction within the month of transaction.
- Perform regular foreign exchange (FX) analysis on awards to assess the impact on budget performance, identify possible effects arising from foreign exchange and communicate same to budget holders and management
- Maintain and update award budgets on SCI financial management system
- Identifies financial status by comparing and analysing actual results with forecasts and budgets, Coordinate and attend monthly BVA meetings, monthly/quarterly Awards review sessions, and support monthly budget phasing; track agreed action points and recommendation to ensure corrections are done
- Uploading SOF budgets into FMS and support Budget Holders to ensure that phasing and coding are accurate.
- Perform budget realignments, revision and rephrasing were required
- Promptly respond and resolve queries on Donor financial reports from donor/member staff.
- Review monthly transaction listing with budget holders to ensure that cost charged to awards are valid and wrong codes are corrected
- Prepare Donor Reports
- support budget holders to ensure realistic forecast are submitted along with reports where applicable.
- Reviewing and posting of financial transactions on SCI financial management system.
- Perform partner account reconciliations: In case of partner’s involvement, Finance to ensure that the financial capacity assessment of the partner in question has been completed prior to a sub-award being granted
- Ensure DEA (Donor Expenditure Analysis) codes are created in Agresso within 30 days of Fund Summary activation
- Make necessary adjustment and recharges requested by Budget Holders
- Attend procurement meeting as member of procurement committee and review relevant documents within the authorization limit of this position
- Assist in preparing CAM estimates for budgets: Analyse actual CAM costs on current award
- Attend Kick off meeting to support and advise on coding structure/s, SCI/Donor reporting.
- Support in Pre-award assessments and Due diligence checks
- May require visit to field offices
- Acts or provide cover for other positions
- Any other roles/duties that may be assigned.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Qualifications and Experience
- First Degree or its equivalent in Accounting/Finance
- Professional qualification in accounting or significant progress towards qualification (ACCA, ICAN, ANAN, CFA, etc) added advantage
- Previous 4-6 years Donor financial management and reporting experience in similar position in an INGO.
- Experience of working in a multi-currency environment.
- Experience working with Agresso, SAP etc.
- Knowledge of donor financial reporting & budgeting for institutional and private donors like USAID, FCDO, GAC, ECHO, EU, UN Agencies.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail especially under pressure
- Excellent MS Excel and analytical skills, ability to work with large amounts of data.
- Good organization and administration skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work to meet deadlines.
- An energetic, flexible and proactive approach with the ability to work both independently and co-operatively within a team setting and maintain good working relationship
- A proactive approach to resolving any issues that may arise, by assessing their impact and identifying those that need to be escalated
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
- Knowledge of Agresso finance system or any other automated financial system
- Good written & oral English proficiency
- Excellent MS Office and power point presentation.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy.
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Application Closing Date
1st September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online