The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance and Administration Manager
Reference No.: R1144
Employment Type: Full Time
- MSH seeks candidates for the position of State Finance and Administrative Manager for the USAID-funded U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative for States (PMI-S) project. The goal of the project is to support the Government of Nigeria to deliver high quality malaria services in public and private health facilities and build capacity of stakeholders at the LGA, state, and national level to develop and implement effective policy that will lead to malaria control and elimination.
- The PMI-S Project is acting as a resource and a catalyst to the Federal Ministry of Health and state teams to help achieve the targets and goals agreed upon within the National Strategic Plan for Malaria.
- At both the federal and state levels, the project is focusing on improving malaria case management; surveillance, monitoring and evaluation; drug-based prevention of malaria; and strengthening capacity of NMEP and SMEPs in eight states to plan, manage and monitor malaria service delivery.
- In addition, the project will strengthen health systems and the governance of NMEP and SMEP to effectively coordinate the malaria response at their respective levels.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the State Coordinator/DFA with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of MSH and ultimately the U.S. Government or other donor against fraud, loss or misuse.
- The person will be responsible for ensuring that any money expended in the field is done in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, MSH policy, and any cost principles imposed by the donor agency.
- The person will become aware of, and adheres to, MSH’s procurement integrity standards in all activities.
Major Activities / Responsibilities
- Review payment vouchers.
- Ensuring properly code all transactions.
- Exercising control and monitoring all expenses from the petty cash,
- Payment of expenses, including per diem and transport to participants during activities in the field.
- Prepare and control advances.
- Ensure balances of unused portions of advances are deposited into the MSH account.
- Supervises deposit slips for cash to be deposited into the bank account.
- Reconcile advances, including review of receipts, coding of expenses on the general voucher and entering into QuickBooks.
- Maintain accounting files.
- Follow up on outstanding advances and assure timely reconciliation.
- Control consumption of project (petrol, electricity, water, telephone, supplies etc)
- Participate in the improvement of the accounting system and the system of internal control.
- Create all financial reports as requested by supervisor.
- Capacity building of team members.
- Preparation and filing of forms for payments of taxes and social security.
- Ensure that payments are processed accurately, timely, and safely (to minimize MSH’s risk exposure).
- Ensure that treasury practices in country minimize MSH’s cash exposure.
- Ensure that entries are entered into financial system accurately and timely.
- Ensure that month and year-end accounting activities are done accurately and in compliance with MSH policies and procedures.
- Ensure that systems are in place in country to ensure that operations are managed and staff act in full compliance with local laws, adhere to contract/award and donor requirements, and comply with MSH policies and standard operating procedures.
- Systems are in place to:
- Ensure that appropriate staff members are aware of and understand laws, contract/award and donor requirements, and MSH policies and procedures
- Monitor and ensure compliance
- Other tasks as requested by supervisor.
- The responsibilities and duties are indicative only. The responsibilities and duties are subject to change to meet the needs of the project, the organization and the donor.
Required Minimum Education
- Master’s Degree in Accounting / Finance is required. Alternatively, University Degree in Accounting / Finance with 7 years post degree experience or equivalent certification from a Business Technical School with 10 years of post-Diploma experience.
Required Minimum Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant progressive experience.
- 3 years of managerial experience.
- Knowledge and experience of handling U.S. government funded projects. Including knowledge of donor rules and regulations.
- Understanding of key aspects of accounting.
- Ability to use basic accounting software (i.e. QuickBooks).
- Written and verbal proficiency in English including business terminology.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel spreadsheets, or comparable software.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills in English
- A creative and proactive approach to all areas of work with a ‘can do’ attitude, in line with the MSH’s values
- Strong team working orientation with a flexible and adaptable approach to work demands across the whole organization
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Collaboration Skills
- Performing financial management of the project.
- Timely transactions recording, reviewing, vouchers file management and preparing necessary reports.
- Demonstrate good judgment and sound financial “common sense”
- Ability to create and monitor budgets. Understanding of Cash Control, Asset Management and Bank Reconciliations.
- Understanding of principals of adequate documentation and of audit, and performance necessary to ensure audit compliance.
- Good ethical conduct.
- Ability to manage teams in Abuja and in the states.
- Monitoring/assessing performance to make improvements or take corrective action
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally
- Ability to plan, balance and cope with competing priorities
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage teams, initiate and organize work
- Ability to establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work independently, prioritizes tasks, and meets deadlines.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online