The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer (ECOSOCC)
Requisition ID: 1494
Reports to: Head of Administration, HR & Finance Unit
Directorate / Department: ECOSOCC
Division: Administration, HR & Finance Division
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide technical support in financial management, accounting, administrative and treasury services in order to meet legislative requirements and support AU operations.
- Provides support in the preparation and Implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan;
- Ensures effective coordination and implementation at various levels;
- Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and other stakeholders including on relevant matters;
- Prepares and develops reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the ECOSOCC;
- Provides support to develop resource mobilization strategy with stakeholder’s coordination;
- Manages and supervises employees under his/her supervision with regard to organization and performance evaluation;
- Conducts complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and ECOSOCC’s internal use;
- Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the AUC for coordination and alignment purposes.
Under the direct supervision of the Administration and Finance Unit Head, he/she will be responsible for the following finance and accounting tasks:
- Manage a complete financial function of the Secretariat which would include a number of different and diverse operations and inter-related accounts of the financial system;
- Preparation of budgets of the Secretariat;
- Process and verify all bank payment and ensure that the accompanying supporting documents are complete and accurate;
- Process monthly payroll and related staff emoluments;
- Journalize monthly exchange difference and bank charges on the various payments effected through Foreign and Local bank accounts of the Mission;
- Prepare bank reconciliation;
- Adjust the local bank balance at the end of each month;
- Prepare financial statements for audit;
- Prepare Financial Reports for consideration of the AU policy organs as well as the certification of general expenditures;
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained accurately;
- Provide advice on financial policies, their application and related procedures for the office in accordance with the AU financial rules and regulations
- Provide advice and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the Organization’s Financial Rules and Regulations and circulars;
- Keep and update financial records of the office;
- Perform any other financial duties as may be assigned by supervisors.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Financial Management, Accounting, Finance or Commerce or related field with five (5) years of work experience in the areas of finance, accounting, financial management, budget, experience in team supervision will be an added advantage
- Or a Master’s Degree in Financial Management, Accounting, Finance or Commerce or related field with two (2) years of work experience in the areas of finance, accounting, financial management, budget, experience in supervisory will be an added advantage.
- Additional professional qualification such as CPA, CA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent,
- Strong knowledge of IPSAS is required and any ERP/SAP will be an added advantage.
- Conscientious in observing deadlines and achieving results
- Familiarity with international and regional policy processes and policy analysis in the relevant area
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Excellent capacity to work on office computer applications (well versed in the use of the MS-Excel, MS-Word, Internet, MS-Power Point. Work experience in accounting packages is required. Knowledge of SAP finance module is essential.
- Excellent ability to prepare reports, analyze data and draft official communications
- Excellent planning and organization skills
- Able to work under pressure, value confidentiality
- Demonstrate professionalism, transparency and accountability
- Able to effectively work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong adherence and compliance
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish), fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Strategic Insight..
- Developing Others
- Change Management..
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration;
- Fosters Accountability Culture..
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence:
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of USD31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of USD21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of USD10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
6th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.