The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Flagship Project and PIDA Coordinator
Requisition ID: 1545
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Director of Infrastructure and Energy
Directorate/Department : Infrastructure and Energy Department
Division : PIDA Coordination Unit
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Number of Positions: 1
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide technical support for the effective coordination of the division’s activities.
- Provides support in the preparation and Implementation of the programs developed out of the Division’s strategic plan;
- Ensures effective coordination and implementation of work programs at various levels;
- Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and other stakeholders on relevant matters;
- Prepares periodic reports, budget and work programs related to the functioning of the Division;
- Provides support to develop resource mobilization strategy with stakeholder’s coordination;
- Manages and supervise employees under supervision with regard to activity implementation and performance evaluation;
- Conducts complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use;
- Liaise with the various Departments/Departments of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes;
- Prepares budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Supports the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required;
- Actively contributes to the development of strategies, policies, programs and plans.
- Coordinates the mainstreaming of the unit into relevant programs and ensure linkages, synergies and opportunities for joint programming;
- Provides technical resource allocation and policy guidance on matters relating to the implementation of the flagship projects;
- Coordinates PIDA/infrastructure matters with key stakeholders, esp. AUDA-NEPAD, the Regional Economic Communities, the AU Member States, the African Development Bank, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa and other PIDA financiers, the civil society, the private sector;
- Facilitates the high-level political process of implementation of PIDA priority projects;
- Supports the development of regional infrastructure on the continent and conduct respective actions to implement recommendations;
- Coordinates PIDA communication activities to increase visibility and awareness on infrastructure/ PIDA matters and projects;
- Facilitates Member States and partner coordination around PIDA and regional infrastructure matters;
- Supports PIDA program management related activities, budget formulation, impact monitoring and reporting;
- Coordinates activities, supervise and manage employees with regard to organization and performance evaluation;
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the AU’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Facilitates and coordinate the implementation and monitoring of the flagship and PIDA projects.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Engineering in one of the PIDA Sectors (Transport, Energy, ICT and Transboundary Water), economics, or in a relevant field with seven (7) years of experience of which 3 years should have been served at supervisory level.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering in one of the PIDA Sectors (Transport, Energy, ICT and Transboundary Water), Economics, or in a relevant field with ten (10) years of experience of which 3 years should have been served at supervisory level.
- Interpersonal skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, and Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Conceptual Thinking
- Drive for Results
- Knowledge Sharing
- .Fosters Innovation
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
15th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.