Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Food Security & Livelihoods (FSL) Deputy Head of Department
- Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
- Starting date: As Soon As Possible
- Direct Line Manager: FSL Head of Department
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Provide Support to the FSL-HoD to consolidate, develop and strengthen ACF’s strategic focus and technical leadership in food security and livelihoods:
- Provide support to the FSL-HoD in developing the National Food Security and Livelihoods Technical Strategy in consultation with DCD-T, CD, and HQ.
- Provide technical direction and quality assurance to ACF’s food security and livelihoods (FSL) programming including cash and markets at a national level, in both development and emergency contexts.
- Gathers data on the FSL situation including developments in Cash and Market-based approaches.
- Provide support to Food Security and Livelihoods Senior Project Managers/ FSL Sector Manager to ensure consistency in strategic focus for all projects in Borno state.
- Engage with key state stakeholders such as World Food Programme, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Food Security and Livelihoods working group, Cash Working group, Early Recovery and Livelihoods among others, in coordinating activities, advocating for policies and ensuring the representation of ACF’s strategic positioning.
Objective 2 – Provide technical support to program development and ensure program quality:
- Support the FSL-HoD in program development in line with the country strategy; in identification, evaluation of opportunities for ACF and develop concept notes, proposals, and related reports.
- Support the FSL team in Borno in ensuring quality standards of FSL are integrated into the project management cycle.
- Ensures the review and editing of all reports.
- Monitors the environment through regular scanning and data gathering for new opportunities, innovations, new approaches, designs or technologies.
- Conduct Food security & Livelihood assessments for program development
Objective 3 – Represent ACF and its positioning in external coordination, donor, and technical meetings/visits on technical and operational matters:
- Represent ACF in donor meetings and project field visits, coordination meetings and technical meetings as designated by FSL-HoD
- Supports the FSL-HoD in developing relationships and partnerships with donors and stakeholders.
- Develops donor and partner communication strategies
Objective 4 – Lead programmatic integration and related capacity building:
- Support FSL-HoD in leading program integration initiatives for a multi-sectoral approach
- Develops tools and guidance notes on Cash-based transfer and food voucher modalities, Market assessment, livelihoods recovery, agricultural inputs. Resilience programming and related areas.
- Advanced University degree (Masters) preferably in Management, Economics, International Development, Social Sciences (sociology), Agricultural Economics, Agriculture, and development
- Minimum of five years experience in food security and livelihoods
- Experience in Food security and Livelihood assessments including cash and market assessments in both development and emergency contexts
- Clear understanding of child and gender protection issues in the field.
- Proven management and coordination skills (HR, projects, and stress management).
- Proven ability to translate analysis and evaluation into operational planning and strategy.
- Experience with evaluations and monitoring as well as Program Cycle Management.
- Experience with research and partnership developments with universities
- Experience with donor communications.
- Good diplomatic and negotiation skills.
- Disciplined and able to work and arrive at decisions autonomously and with minimal guidance
- Excellent drafting and writing skills.
- Fluent in English
Skills and Experience
- Interest and/or experience in Cash transfer programs, Agriculture and livestock programming in Humanitarian setting and community-led methodologies
- Demonstrated previous experience in and strong proposal writing and donor reporting skills.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and preparation of budgets for programming.
- Proficient in MS Office Applications
- Excellent management and representation competencies.
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills
- Experience in developing world context
- A strong understanding of project cycle management and monitoring and evaluation.
- Working experience in complex emergencies
- Willing to work in insecure context
- Prior ACF experience in a similar position
- Experience in Resilience and agriculture assessments
- Familiarity with DFID, EU,USAID-FFP & SDC reporting & Regulations
- CaLP Level 2.
Minimum Basic Salary
NGN522,793 per month.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Closing Date
14th April, 2020.