Adexen was mandated by a multinational corporation to recruit an experienced individual for their operations in the position below:
Job Title: Group Chief Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Officer
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Seniority: Director
Job Category: HSE & Security
Employment Type: Full time
- Responsible for establishing Health and Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) best practice policies, standards and programs across the Group, Subsidiaries and Projects.
- Responsible for leading the development, execution, monitoring and measurement of the Group strategic sustainability initiatives
- Provides a leadership and mentoring role to the Business Unit teams with a visible and uncompromised commitment to Sustainability and HSSE.
- Promotes and oversees compliance programs on environmental, health and safety, and social issues which are relevant for the Group.
- Manages extensive interface with executive management, site operations management, lenders and investors, consultants, and regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for the development of the Sustainability Report
- Develop and drive the execution of the Group’s long-term Sustainability vision, mission and operating principles and HSSE strategic objectives and controls in line with the overall business objectives
- Provide expertise and leadership to Group executives and management, enhancing awareness of Sustainability, Corporate Social Responsibility and HSSE issues likely to have material impact on the business
- Maintain an up-to-date perspective on relevant HSSE issues and provide timely input of new developments to Group management staff
- Foster a culture of Sustainability, including a strong Safety attitude, through regular intra-group communications and education
- Manage a Group Sustainability & HSSE function that supports the various Business Units, Operations and Projects in addressing their HSSE issues, risks and opportunities.
- Develop and maintain Group HSSE policies, standards and guidelines
- Foster an atmosphere of openness and information sharing across the group with respect to HSSE matters
- Oversee subsidiary HSSE activities, provide technical guidance and support and act as HSSE knowledge champion for the Group
- Oversee initiatives in the areas of climate change, sustainable design of products and operations and supply chain
- Establish a measuring and reporting system to evaluate group’s progress against the sustainability and HSSE targets for Group Management Team, HSSE Committee and provide regular update on progress to the GMD
- Oversee the establishment of consistent, group-wide HSSE data management tracking systems and reporting framework and ensure appropriate internal controls, KPIs and measurement systems are in place to support Sustainability efforts
- Oversee the investigation of subsidiary HSSE incidents and accidents and ensure proper mitigation action plans are put in place. Lead or participate in incident investigation.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Engineering or HSSE related discipline
- MBA will be a plus
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience in a similar position within an international Group in relevant industries (Oil & Gas / Chemical / Manufacturing / FMCG)
- Operational experience in emerging countries, preferably in Africa
- Excellent technical knowledge of key HSSE issues, standards and practices across a spectrum including development projects and operations
- Up-to-date knowledge of current trends and sectoral challenges pertaining to the area of Sustainability within Manufacturing, Oil&Gas, Mining and Agribusiness
- Demonstrated success in improving HSSE performance and establishing best practices across a large multinational organization
- Possess a sound understanding of HSSE policies and objectives, a sense of personal responsibility and the ability to identify and attach appropriate urgency to the requirements of various HSSE regulations and stakeholder expectations
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results, create value and drive continuous performance improvement
- Experienced in developing and implementing HSSE policies, plans and Integrated Management Systems according to IFC Performance Standards and ISO14001/ISO45001 international standards
- In-depth knowledge of HSSE regulations and compliance strategies
- Track record in influencing positive organizational change
- Significant depth of experience at a senior management level with general oversight of EHSS programs and community and external stakeholder relations
- Highly analytical, ability to synthesize information and offer recommendations/solutions
- High level of personal ethics.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: We thank all applicants, however, only those selected will be contacted.