The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health System Strengthening (HSS) Advisor
Requisition ID: req34702
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
HeRON Project Overview
- USAID/FCDO Health Resilience of Northeast Nigeria (HeRON) Service delivery project in Borno and Yobe states supports the delivery of quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health services, to improve evidence-based decision-making, accountability at all levels of service delivery.
- IRC leads a consortium of humanitarian and development implementing partners (Action Contre la Faim – ACF, Society for Family Health Nigeria).
- The Project team is working alongside states and local government authorities, to undertake advocacies and strengthen their capacity to effectively deliver quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health, and nutrition services.
Scope of Work
- IRC is seeking a dynamic and experienced governance and public health professional to provide direct technical support to State’s MoH and LGAs to strengthen the health system.
- Reporting to the HeRON Consortium Team Leader, the HSS Advisor will be responsible for directly working with State MoH officials, to ensure that the HeRON program is aligned with government health strategies, plans, and priorities/ AOPs; supporting and advocating for the roll-out of government health policies and reforms, with particular focus on program quality and sustainability across health system strengthening components.
- Working alongside MoH officials at State and LGA levels, the HSS Advisor will provide appropriate capacity strengthening to ensure that health systems are rebuilt and equipped to deliver quality and sustainable health services at the health facility and community level, with improved management and performance of the health system.
- In consultation with the Consortium Deputy Team Leader, the HSS Advisor will regularly coordinate with the state’s MoH and LGA officials, development actors, and stakeholders.
Program Management, Technical Quality, Strategy, and Advocacy:
- Under the leadership of the HeRON Consortium Team Leader, provide technical support for the overall strategy implementation to strengthen the capacity of the State Ministry of Health (SMoH) and the state primary health care development agency (SPHCDA).
- Advocate and collaborate with MoH, SPHCDA, and LGAs to incorporate best practices and international standards in service delivery
- Facilitate and support periodic self-assessment processes at the SMOH, SPHCDA, and LGAs, as well as the development of organizational development (OD) and/or capacity-building plans aiming at mainstreaming health governance principles and processes, increasing participation, responsiveness, and accountability of reproductive, maternal, neonatal and child health services.
- Support the SPHCDA Executive Director and LGAs in executing the activities laid out in the organizational development (OD) and capacity-building plans
- Coordinate with the HeRON consortium deputy team leader and management team to identify, through cyclical assessments, technical support needs/ priorities, and regularly monitor the performance of OD plans, as well as through scheduled quarterly review meetings.
- Support the SMOH, SPHCDA, and LGAs’ analytical and decision-making processes in further defining and planning the roll-out of integrated service packages for community health services, the improvement/ roll-out of Health Management Information System (HMIS) and Logistics Management Information System (LMIS)
- Coordinate between the SMOH, SPHCDA, LGAs, and the HeRON consortium leadership and its implementing partners to provide technical support for the implementation of transition and sustainability plans, in ensuring the attainment of the identified sustainability parameters.
- Provide expert contribution to the development or adaptation/domestication of national health policies, guidelines, and standards, promoting quality service provision in Northeast Nigeria that is accessible, responsive, and accountable to citizens, and allows their voices to be heard.
Research, Learning, and Analysis:
- Review existing SMOH/ partner supervisory tools and provide technical support in the development of TORs, training guidelines/manuals, and tools for new community health system strengthening initiatives
- Work with the Senior MEAL Manager to document lessons learned and best practices that will inform future investment in health programming at the State level.
Coordination & Representation:
- Support the coordination of sustainability task force meetings and follow up on action plans
- Participate and provide technical support at SMOH planning, budgeting, and review meetings
- Participate in HeRON program coordination meetings with the consortium and implementing partners
- Participate at various stakeholders and partners coordination meetings at State level
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Team Leader – HeRON Consortium
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: Deputy Team Leader
- Position directly Supervises: N/A
Key Internal Contacts:
- Country Program: Senior Advocacy Manager, Health Governance Manager, HeRON Senior Managers & Managers (Program, MEAL, Pharma)
- Region/Global: Senior Technical Advisor, Governance (HQ), Health Technical Advisor (HQ)
Key External Contacts:
- State MoH Officials, State PHCDA Director, MoH – HeRON Focal Persons, Sustainability Task Force, HeRON Implementing partners, USAID SPO Partners, and other collaborating partners in the State of assignment.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health (MPH) or equivalent, or Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field with Public Health experience equivalent to MPH.
- 4-5 years Previous experience working closely with Ministry of Health officials and in policy development/Health Systems Strengthening
- Previous experience working in a technical advisor/ Advocacy capacity, and as part of a consortium of implementing partners, INGOs.
- Must be familiar with the operational context and health system of the State (Borno or Yobe).
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Demonstrable working knowledge in advocacy, HSS, and health governance
- Monitoring and evaluation skills
- Excellent coordination and networking skills.
Demonstrated Managerial / Leadership Competencies:
- Knowledge, skills, and experience in consensus building and partnerships.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle a large and dynamic workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Fluency in English (spoken and written). Knowledge of the local language is a must.
Computer / Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Ability to Travel:
- 10-20% of the time.
- This position will be embedded within the State Ministry of Health in Damaturu (Yobe State) or Maiduguri (Borno State). Impotant Notice: Please indicate your preferred location in your application.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants based on merit, without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.