The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HeRoN Roving MEAL Officer
Requisition ID: req34705
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The purpose of the IRC HeRON Roving MEAL Officer position is to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation, and analysis of data to track project activities and indicators, monitor progress and support impact measurement for the HeRON project.
- S/he will also conduct development research, engage in reflective practice, and generate lessons from projects/program and prepare MEAL plans for the Health/Nutrition/EH components of the IRC HeRON project across Borno and Yobe states.
- S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better field level data management systems for the core program s/he assigned to and coordinates the proper and timely evaluation of project objectives/impact.
- S/he will contribute to the existing client response mechanisms and ensure program staff participation in MEAL activities.
- The position holder will closely work with sector manager(s), front line staff, and CHIPS agents.
- S/he also will work closely with the MEAL unit on technical matters and reports to the HeRON Senior MEAL Manager and the HeRON Senior Program Manager.
Program/project design and learning (20% of time):
- Participate in program/ project design especially in developing HeRON logframes and also contribute learning from previous projects
- Responsible for continuously updating Health/Nutrition and EH project MEAL, and impact measurement tools and systems on timely fashion.
- Support to develop and make sure all sectors in the HeRON project have tested monitoring tools that capture both program activity and indicators progress.
- Responsible for organizing/supporting periodic ongoing HeRON data review, reflective practice, evaluation and progress monitoring events by involving communities and local partners.
- Responsible for organizing Health panel monitoring and/or similar MEAL events to ensure accountability to the target community, with relevant stakeholders including communities and ensure their dissemination to concerned parties.
- With support from the Senior MEAL Manager, Health/Nutrition/EH manager(s) and coordinator(s), establish and maintain project level information management syste
- Contribute to designing strategy to collect field level information required by IRC, donors and/or stakeholders.
- Responsible for proactively ensuring networking and sharing of lessons from the HeRON core program with strategic partners and other stakeholder including government.
- Responsible for coordinating synergy and cross-learning among different projects.
- Responsible for cross fertilizing learning among projects by regularly producing (compiling) summary monitoring reports and sharing to Health staff and partners.
Monitoring and evaluation (50% of time):
- Responsible for tracking HeRON progress against monitoring work plans.
- Coordinate the field level community participatory monitoring and evaluation, reflective practice and impact measurement.
- Responsible for ensuring the on-time execution of HeRON projects major monitoring and evaluation events including but not limited to baseline survey, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, data quality audit and field supervision.
- Responsible for providing technical support to HeRON staff and partner organization on information management system, proper data collection and record keeping.
- Responsible for updating HeRON MEAL plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Responsible for HeRON monthly and/or quarterly performance indicator analysis, including generation of reports as well as presentations for staff related to on-going performance.
- Responsible for conducting HeRON regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data.
- Responsible for verifying HeRON entered data for completeness, correctness, and consistency and follow up on any data quality issues.
- Responsible for documenting findings from HeRON data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access.
- Actively participate in and contribute to MEAL team activities, system assessments, development and implementation of new systems and/or tools aimed at strengthening overall MEAL practices at IRC Nigeria.
- Responsible for closely working with HeRON staff to ensure they follow correct procedures and criteria during beneficiary registration.
- Accountable for the recruitment of enumerators and support in other survey including engagement of consultants.
- Contribute to providing MEAL inputs for HeRON report written during project implementation.
- Responsible for periodically conducting reflective practice forums at field office/ project level and compile lessons from project implementation processes.
Information management and reporting (10% of time):
- Support in establishing and maintaining HeRON project information management system.
- Responsible for submitting HeRON data set to update country office wide program database on monthly basis.
- Responsible for compiling HeRON regular project monitoring report, including lessons learned, and application of evaluation recommendations.
- Support to ensuring all projects have downward/ forward client responsiveness mechanisms and works with project staff to make sure of its implementation.
- Responsible for compiling quarterly, biannual and annual tabular, and narrative Health reports (as required by project stakeholders) on projects’ accomplishments by cost and alert the management for special deviations from the plan.
Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor (10% of time):
- Perform other task related assignment proposed by his/her supervisor/s.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to:
- Senior Program Manager (HeRON) Maiduguri
- Senior MEAL Manager (HeRoN) (Maiduguri)
Key Internal Contacts:
- IRC HeRON Capacity Building Officers, MEAL Managers, HeRON Pharmacy Manager, HeRON Consortium Senior Managers, HeRoN governance manager, HeRON Deputy Team Leader, Supply Chain, Consortium Finance.
Key External Contacts:
- HeRON Implementing partners (Program Staffs)
- Ministry of Health, SPHCDA, HeRON Technical Staff seconded to MoH, Health Facility staffs, Community Leaders and Members.
- Degree in Statistics, Computer Science / Information Management / or any other related field
- Excellent computer skills are required (particularly Advanced Microsoft Excel, Access and Word)
- At least two years’ experience working in monitoring and evaluation preferred
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required
- Ability to work independently, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively
- Familiarity with log frame analysis and MEAL plan
- Experience in conducting assessment.
- Familiarity with the DHIS platform is an added advantage
- Familiarity with data collection tools such as Kobo collect, ODK, Commcare and data visualization tools such as Power Bi for reporting.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online