The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Officer (ACERWC)
Requisition ID: 1498
Location: Maseru, Lesotho
Reports to: Deputy Secretary
Directorate / Department: Health, Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development
Division: African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC)
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 2
Job Grade: P2
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital of Ethiopia.
- In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the post of Information & Communication Technology (ICT) Officer at the Secretariat of the African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC/the Committee).
- The ACERWC is a human rights organ of the AU with the mandate to promote and protect the rights and welfare of children in Africa.
- The Committee was established by the Organization of African Unity (OAU), now the African Union (AU), through Article 32 of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (The African Children’s Charter) to monitor the implementation of the Charter.
- In view of the above background, the AU invites qualified and competent applicants who are citizens of Member States of the African Union with relevant skills, competencies and experiences to submit their applications for the position of Information and Communication Technology Officer (ICT Officer) at the Secretariat of the ACERWC based in Maseru, the Kingdom of Lesotho.
- The ICT Officer shall ensure that all computer systems at the Secretariat of the ACERWC work smoothly; and to manage the Secretariat’s computers, NT servers, internet facilities, etc.
- Provide technical support in the following up of activities of the unit of assignment and in area of expertise, including monitoring and evaluating progress made of planned activities in line with a predefined work plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy in the area of expertise.
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
- Participate in providing required technical support during organisation of meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders and develop working relationships.
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the area of intervention
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders as required.
- Diagnose and resolve complex technical problems, associated with computer hardware and software interrelationships/dependencies and ensure availability to system users;
- Maintain the office local-area network (LAN), wide-area network (WAN), network segment, Internet, or intranet system and provide day-to-day onsite administrative support and periodic servicing of the network and all peripherals;
- Install, assemble and configure computers, monitors, networks infrastructure and peripherals such as printers, scanners and related hardware; pull cables and rewire or direct the rewiring of cables as required for new installations and office reconfiguration;
- Make hardware and software acquisition recommendations, including helping users assess needs and providing justification for equipment and services, as well as training and orientation;
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures and educate staff members about computer security, install security software, monitor the network for security breaches, respond to cyber-attacks, and, gather data and evidence to be used in prosecuting cyber-crime.;
- Handle all computer and related instalment, diagnosis and network connections during the sessions and other meetings of the ACERWC;
- Develop an electronic Database of all National Human Rights Institutions and NGOs that have Observer and Affiliate Status with the ACERWC;
- Support the development and implementation of the digital communication component of the ACERWC Communication Strategy towards the promotion of the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC) and the activities of the African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC);
- Conceptualize, design video and animated products (short and long) for social media platforms;
- Manage ACERWC’s Online platforms and ensure permanent interaction with online audience;
- Maintain and regularly update the ACERWC’s website;
- Work with AUC Communication department to link the ACERWC site to AUC website;
- Creating graphics, videos, tweets, and Facebook posts, and all other digital content to convert complex research and initiatives into short, compelling, memorable ideas;
- Linking up with partners and other organizations working on child rights and creating discussion forums;
- Assisting in monitoring and analyzing by keeping updated all professional feeds;
- Identifying emerging digital channels that ACERWC can utilize to reach its objectives more effectively.
- Develop programme for an electronic filing system and work with the Clerk to implement it;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems and at least five (5) years relevant professional work experience in server hardware installation and maintenance, server infrastructure, maintenance capacity planning and database application installation and basic maintenance OR
- A Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems, with at least two (2) years of relevant work experience as indicated above
- The candidate is required to be a certified systems engineers in server administration, network, infrastructure and messaging suites. A higher qualification will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge of TCP/IP stacks and their functionality;
- Advanced knowledge and troubleshooting of various Windows Servers and other Servers;
- Excellent knowledge of international organizations.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to work independently to meet critical and competing deadlines (multi-tasking), to produce high quality work in short timeframes;
- Excellent interpersonal/teamwork skills,
- Demonstrable professionalism and leadership abilities;
- Good communication and planning skills;
- Applicants must be proficient in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish). Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
- Change Management..
- Managing Risk:
- Teamwork and Collaboration..
- Accountability awareness and Compliance..
- Learning Orientation..
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving..
- Job Knowledge and information sharing..
- Drive for result..
- Continuous Improvement Focus
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of USD31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of USD21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of USD10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
6th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.