The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Information Assistant – All Interested Candidates (Social Media Coordinator)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-094
Series/Grade: LE – 6105 8
Promotion Potential: LE-8
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 06. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No.
- Under the direct supervision of the Information Officer (IO), the incumbent creates social media content and campaigns which reflect Mission priorities.
- Will proactively design and create engaging content targeting Nigerian youth regarding U.S. programs and priorities.
- Liaise with the interagency to track Mission activities, trending issues, alumni and local influencers for amplifying on digital platforms.
- Incumbent will also provide analytical data and contribute to regular mentoring reports and serves as back-up to the webmaster.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- University Degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations, International Relations, Telecommunication Engineering, or Marketing is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in design, creation and packaging of visual and multimedia content for digital marketing, advertising or mass communications purposes, including extensive experience as an advanced end user of industry standard desktop and mobile software applications, internet and related communications technologies, and integration of visual content into web content management systems is required.
- [Note: candidates considered for this position must provide a portfolio of original work demonstrating visual and multimedia design competence].
- Excellent knowledge of the current and emerging state of information technology, web 2.0 and social media principles, platforms and procedures, and computers and software related to webpage design and graphics is required.
- Good working knowledge of html, java script, and other programming languages is required.
- Good knowledge of public diplomacy programs, public affairs techniques, outreach activities, information campaigns, infographics and products, as well as good knowledge of U.S. policy priorities and U.S. society are required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, analytical, organizational and communication skills is required.
- Excellent writing skills and proven ability to design compelling websites and social media sites are required.
- Ability to work independently, to evaluate validity and policy relevance of information materials, prioritize and organize work responsibilities in order to meet urgent deadlines, and solve problems are required.
- Ability to respond to general information requests from the public, while recognizing the need to bring certain requests to the attention of supervisors is required.
- Ability to use a computer with the Windows OS and a general knowledge of MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and the internet are required.
- Standard keyboard skills required.
- Must be able to recognize pertinent social media applications (Twitter, Instagram etc) and possess excellent writing skills.
- Must be familiar with video and audio recording and editing equipment.
- This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in language listed.
- English Fluent Reading / Writing / Speaking is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
USD 43,507 (NGN 8,664,538) Annually.
Application Closing Date
23rd August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption document
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.