The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Interpreter / Translator – English
>>>CLICK HERE to Join JOBS IN NIGERIA & OVERSEAS Telegram Channel
Requisition ID: 848
Location: Banjul, Gambia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Secretary to the Commission
AU Organ: African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
Unit: Interpretation and Translation
Job Grade: P4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for interpretation at the sessions and meetings of the ACHPR as well as translation of documents from French into English.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Secretary to the Commission, the Interpreter/Translator shall carry out activities related to the functioning of the Interpretation and Translation Unit, specifically:
- Liaise with the various units of the ACHPR for coordination and alignment purposes;
- Maintain databases, records and registers of Translation and Interpretation Unit for accountability and control;
- Prepare budgets for the activities of the Translation and Interpretation Unit in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Provide simultaneous interpretation during conferences, statutory Sessions, meetings and audience’s discussions of the ACHPR;
- Provide consecutive, liaison and other forms of interpretation;
- Check appropriate references to ensure exact understanding of use of AU technical terminologies;
- Ensure all documents of the ACHPR are prepared in all working languages of the African Union;
- Ensure that all documents emanating from the ACHPR are of an impeccable standard in terminology, syntax, style and presentation in a timely manner;
- Ensure quality of translation of working documents on a wide range of subject matters;
- Check working documents before and after interpretation and translation to ensure contextual understanding, linguistic accuracy and conformity with established AU terminologies;
- Consult colleagues, specialised dictionaries/glossaries, data banks and reference sources to ensure translation accuracy;
- Participate in the development of AU terminology database by compiling terms into glossaries for validation by the Reviser for inclusion in the ACHPR in-house terminology bank;
- Update specific terminologies, phrases, special expressions, lexicons and acronyms in order to expand vocabulary;
- Have a good working knowledge of the Computer Assisted Translation Tool (CATT) and virtual interpretation;
- Ensure quality translation of working documents on a wide range of subject matters in a timely manner and in the respective AU working languages;
- Protect the confidentiality of information and
- Perform any other duty relevant to their work as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have a Master’s Degree in Interpretation,Translation, Modern Languages from an accredited University with ten (10) years’ experience as an interpreter / Translator out of which six (6) years should be at expert level. Or
- Candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Interpretation, Translation, and Modern Languages from an accredited University with twelve (12) experience as Interpreter / Translator out of which six (6) at expert level.
- A Degree in Legal Studies will be an advantage.
- A third AU working language will be an advantage.
- Certification of Translator / Interpreter’s professional
- Member of a recognized professional body is advantage.
Functional Skills and Competencies :
- Good translation and editing skills, with the ability to produce accurate and clear translations;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Good communication and interpretational skills;
- Good computer literacy (Microsoft Office).
- Ability to work in a multicultural and/or international work environment;
- Ability to work on own initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a proactive manner;
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate with peers;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
Knowledge and Understanding:
- Experience in linguistic research and development of data-base;
- Knowledge of Computer Assisted Translation Tool (CATT);
- An understanding of the confidential nature of this area of work.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and Information Sharing
- Drive for Result
- Continuous improvement orientation
Enure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (40% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 15,897.60 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
29th November 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.