The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Journalist, BBC News – Igbo Service
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/64505
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract: Two vacancies available – 1 x Six month fixed term contract and 1 x 12 month fixed term contract
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences.
- It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 468 million globally (2020 figure), including TV, digital platforms, social media, AM, FM, shortwave, digital satellite and cable channels.
- As a BBC Broadcast Journalist you will work creatively across all digital platforms – audio, video and text – to ensure that the Igbo Service output develops and grows a distinctive character and status in its target area.
- On a daily basis, you will engage actively with the audience ensuring consistency of output. You will be required occasionally to do field reporting as required.
- Shift work will be required which will include early mornings, late nights, weekends and public holidays.
Are you the right candidate?
- The successful candidate will have some experience within a media environment. Fluent in Igbo and English (written and spoken), you will have experience of delivering creative output on online platforms.
- Knowledge of local, regional and international news and current affairs is essential.
- You will have knowledge of and recent experience of living in the target area, including a good understanding of the complexities of Nigeria.
- Ability to work under pressure and to react to breaking news is essential.
Application Closing Date
29th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This role will require you to travel at short notice.
- Local terms and conditions apply.
- Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria