The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Journalist, Gist
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/64192
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Gist Nigeria is BBC Africa’s pioneer co-production with a dynamic team that produces stories being talked about for the social media generation. Gist Nigeria offers in-depth reporting, focusing on the stories behind the news, its impact and how it affects the audience. It features analysis, studio discussions and hard-hitting interviews around the key issues that matter to Nigerians and West Africa. The programme also features stories covered by a selection of the BBC’s African services. We have an exciting opportunity for a Journalist with demonstrable reporting and presenting skills to join our creative and innovative team in Lagos.
- Reporting to the Editor, Gist Nigeria, your role as a Journalist (Reporter / Presenter) is to provide timely, expert and authoritative coverage of news and current affairs events for our flagship programme on multi-platforms including tv, digital, and online.
- You will supply material for broadcast in fluent broadcast-standard English.
- We expect you to report and present on news and current affairs in a timely, engaging manner which is suitable for our target audience.
Are You the Right Candidate?
- The successful candidate must have a demonstrable background in a relevant journalistic role, with first class knowledge of news that appeals to a Nigerian audience.
- A broadcast-level of English, written and spoken, is essential; knowledge of one or more of Nigeria’s main languages (Hausa, Pidgin, Yoruba or Igbo) would be a distinct advantage.
- You will have notable experience of working across multi-platforms including TV, digital and social media.
- You will have an in-depth knowledge of news and stories related to the Nigeria and West Africa region, with a full understanding of Nigerian history, politics, social and cultural issues.
- A thorough understanding of the latest developments in storytelling is key.
- In addition, you will have an excellent on-screen presence, authoritative microphone voice and the ability to communicate effectively with the target audience.
- A track record of accuracy and impartiality and sound editorial judgement is essential.
Application Closing Date
20th November, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- In your Questionnaire you will be asked to submit a Showreel and Link to your presenting work. Applications which do not include these items will not be shortlisted.
- Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria.