The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Junior Controlling Officer
Vacancy No: 089
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974.
- From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
Skills Development for Youth Employment (SKYE) Programme:
- The GIZ Programme “Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)” supports the diversification of the economy in Nigeria through the promotion of demand oriented technical and agricultural vocational training and education (A/VET).
- Apart from the sectors agriculture and construction, the project is focusing mainly on the automotive, ICT and other sectors.
- The strategy of the project is to improve the synergy between measures on the demand side for employment (i.e. skilled persons that followed vocational qualification measures, formal and informal TVET and Agricultural-VET (ATVET) measures) with those of the employment supply side (i.e. promotion of a pro-employment environment in the private sector through e.g. job centers, job fairs, short-term training and internship programmes, etc.).
- The purpose is to develop the match-making between the supply and demand of skilled labor force and hence to contribute to the decrease of youth unemployment in the country.
Responsibilities & Tasks
The Controlling Officer is responsible for:
- Ensuring that financial administration functions well in accordance with GIZ standard procedures
- Effectively coordinating with the staff of the Finance team and Procurement unit.
- Definition and implementation of the internal control system of the Project
- Definition and control instruments for identifying and preventing damage to the company
The tasks of a Controlling Officer are:
- Invoice Check
- Financial Monitoring of All Financial agreement and Service contracts
- Financial Monitoring of all Local subsidy contracts and Grand Agreements
- Verification of travel claims (local & International trips)
- Correctness of all invoices
- Insurance of the respect of the separation of Functions, crosscheck principle
- Insurance of the respect of the regulation on authority to sign
- Process of cash and bank reconciliation
- Checking of the settlement of local subsidies before transfer to Country Office
- Checking of the winpaccs journal before signature by the responsible Officer of the commission
- Checking of powers of attorney for bank accounts and letters of credit
- Checking of the vehicle log books
- Checking of the generator logbook and fuel tank
- Reports all problems with financial administration and compliance without delay
- Responsible for filing in accordance with GIZ rules
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- BSc in Finance, Accounting, Economics, or similar area of study.
- Relevant professional qualification is an added advantage.
- Professional experience
- Minimum of 1-year professional experience in a comparable position.
Desired additional qualifications, competencies, and experiences:
- Confidential handling of data and information
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Knowledge of administrative procedures and systems, managing files and records, and other office procedures
- Good Knowledge of Issuance of receipts and keeping reports
- English language proficiency (written and oral)
- Detail oriented and ability to work under minimal supervision and to show initiative and resourcefulness
- Willingness to undergo further training in accordance with the tasks.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 3.
Application Closing Date
4th November, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Please include vacancy no. 089 in the mail subject.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.