Lekki Freeport Terminal, part of the CMA-CGM Group, is the only Container Terminal Operator in Nigeria’s only deep seaport, namely Lekki Port.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lasher (Local – within Nigeria)
Location: Lagos Island, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
Department: Operations Execution
Reporting to: Operations Supervisor
Indirect Reporting to: Shift Manager
- To perform stevedoring duties mainly but not limited to the safe lashing and unlashing of containers on board the vessel to support terminal operations in order to achieve consistent and improving levels of performance and carry out any other duties for which competencies are held.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Support operations management on preparation of standard operating procedures for lashing and unlashing operations on-board the vessel.
- Go through yard familiarization exercise.
- Be involved on live equipment tests and commissioning as required i.e. lashing bar, twist-locks etc.
- Participate in different training modules of operations and technical department.
- Ensure compliance of all safety protocol as advised by HSSE.
- Actively follow and promote the LFT Safety and Security policies and ensure that fellow employees and visitors are doing the same.
- Lashing and unlashing of containers on board vessels following safe methods and meeting productivity standard.
- Places/removes twist lock into the corner casting of a container at quay side or yard for loading or discharging of containers as the case may be.
- Lashes or unlashes containers to the deck of a ship using lashing bars, extension bars and turnbuckles.
- Affects the unlashing and lashing of all containers relevant to the port call on vessels and assist with all manual labor required during vessel operation.
- Carries out any other tasks required as directed by the Crane Foreman, e.g. painting, cleaning, washing of terminal plant, assisting Engineering Department during maintenance activities.
- Ensure all changeovers are conducted quickly and in accordance with agreed procedures.
- To routinely observe on-going operations in all areas, to ascertain that established productivity and performance benchmarks are met and even exceeded, and to initiate appropriate action when standards are not met.
- Ensure that vessel lashing gear/twist-locks are stowed tidily and safely after the unlashing and any surplus lashing gear stowed in correct locations on board the vessel.
- To responsibly safeguard sensitive information in some critical areas in the Terminal.
- Report any visible damage to containers seen during operations to the operations supervisor to ensure damage report documentation signed off by terminal and vessel command prior discharge.
- Primarily responsible for the storage and availability of all terminal lashing tools, twist-lock, etc.
- Follows safe operating procedures and instructions, preventing any injury to persons, or damage to containers and other equipment.
- Report immediately in case of any incident or unsafe conditions, equipment defect during operations to operations supervisor, or in case of bad weather condition.
- Assist in the training of employees in line with standard operating procedure for lashing and unlashing operations at the quayside
Critical Success Factors
- Training attendance, as required.
- Performance progress during live equipment testing and yard familiarization exercise.
- Successful engagement on live equipment testing.
- Ensure achieving all agreed productivity targets with zero accident.
- Ensure quick and timely lashing activities on board with zero delays occurring as a result of lashing or unlashing activities.
- No loss to any terminal lashing equipment or vessel lashing equipment i.e. twist locks, lashing bars
- Seamless handover between shifts.
- Indoor / Outdoor: Outdoor
- Onshore/Offshore: Onshore
- Heights: Yes
- Hours of Work: Shift rotation; 12 hours
- On Call: Yes
Does the job involve travel?
- Local – Lagos: Not expected
- National – Nigeria: Not expected
- International: Not expected
Contact after Hours: Yes
Qualifications & Experiences
- First School Leaving Certificate – SSCE, WAEC, Technical Certificate is an added advantage
Experience & Knowledge:
- Requires at least one year experience working on board containerized vessel or more or related experience in terminal operations environment, or similar/related industry.
- Previous experience as a lasher would be an advantage.
- Is thoroughly familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices and terminal operations or similar industry.
- Understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements, and equipment is preferable.
- Previous experience of working in a multi-cultural environment is an advantage.
- No past record of safety and operational procedure breaches / warnings.
- Able to work at heights
- Good hand eye coordination
- Excellent visual acuity
- Ability to work under pressure environment with constant change of priorities.
- Good communication skills with the ability to communicate with all concern team members
- Ability to communicate in English (Speaking/Reading).
- Ability to work on weekends, night, holidays and for long period of time.
- Adaptability: Flexibility in dealing with change and overcoming obstacles in meeting job requirements.
- Assertiveness: Confidence in expressing an opinion or requirement even when challenged.
- Collaboration: Working closely with others to achieve the desired results.
- Compliance: Adhering to policies and procedures established by the organization.
- Dedication: Fully committing oneself to the job, which may include making some personal sacrifices.
- Quality-focused: Supporting the needs of product and service excellence.
- Team-focused: Working with a group in utilizing all of its resources to achieve maximum performance.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online