Lekki Freeport Terminal part of the CMA-CGM Group, is the only Container Terminal Operator in Nigeria’s only deep seaport. It is set to become the largest container terminal in Nigeria and West Africa with enormous potential of becoming fully automated thereby contributing to the large trading operations of Nigeria and indeed, West Africa. The premise on which Leeki Freeport Terminal will operate is to connect global maritime trade to Nigeria and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Manager (Local – within Nigeria)
Location: Lagos Island, Lagos (On-site)
Job type: Full-time
Indirect reports To: CEO
Reports To: Chief Finance Office
- This position is for a highly qualified Legal Manager who will be part of the Finance team and will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
- The ideal candidate will develop and implement strategies which result in the provision of well-rounded legal advice to senior management and to the organization; overseeing legal processes, including court actions where necessary; and lead and manage terminal matters with external legal advisors.
- You will also manage and act as mentor to the legal team working in the organization. You should have an outstanding professional record and reputation of providing excellent legal advice at the highest organizational levels.
- A recognized expertise in regulatory matters preferably relevant to the activities in a terminal, and be able to demonstrate the ability to contribute effectively as a member of the team.
- The Legal Manager will provide measurable input into new legal processes and standards that have a direct impact on the terminals overall results.
- The position is expected to analyze legal issues and ensure optimal resolving of these issues for the business.
- The position has an impact which is multi-dimensional as noncompliance can severely affect the overall port operations.
- Advises terminal management on all issues relating to local legislation in all areas and required regulatory requirements from various local bodies.
- Attends as terminal representative all hearings with relation to legal, regulatory or statutory matters with required local bodies.
- Maintains and reports on follow up with all issues related to legal and statutory matters being handled by the terminal.
- Maintains and develops local contacts with specialist legal firms on all issues, and liaise with external lawyers for Legal Disputes.
- Liaison with local authorities for any matters and clearances related to the company
- Liaison with local bodies and agencies for all approvals and clearances required for effective terminal operations
- Responsible for finalizing the legal procedures for the statute, board minutes, resolutions, general assembly, registration and investment certificates, powers of attorney, agreements, etc.
- Approves agreements entered with all third-party providers
- Negotiations with lawyers and contractors for all contracts (user, service and engineering contracts) and management of the same. Monitors the tender process.
- The position is required to keep abreast of all changes in law and regulatory issues and is the conscience keeper of the organization on these issues.
- Assists in the negotiation and renewal of insurance policies with insurers/ brokers.
- Responsible for compiling all evidence and reports involving insurance and claims and coordinating with all parties involved.
- Initiates claim process for damage caused by external parties.
- Check and control all reports concerning claims, to be filled correctly and submitted to the proper authority.
- Proactive investigation, evaluation, management, and resolution of claims.
- Clear analysis and accurate interpretation of insurance policies.
- Coordinate expert surveys and investigation of circumstances.
- Liaising and working closely with the commercial, Finance, CSR, and other Departments to maintain an integrated approach to compliance across the company
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a minimum of 7 years’ experience
- 7 years’ experience as a legal counsel preferably in the port sector or in transportation.
- Complete familiarization with local civil, commercial, real estate, torts, labour laws and practices.
- Mastery of the legal discipline, combining knowledge and theory with successful professional practice.
- Complete familiarity with rules and regulations of local bodies
- Familiar in Public Administration matters
- High level of analytical skills and must have complete IT skills as required in an office environment
- Ability to anticipate problems, manage prevention, recognize key issues in problems and create contingency plans and alternative solutions.
- Able to evaluate solutions for both long and short-term benefit.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online