The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Officer – Institutional and General Legal Affairs
Requisition ID: 1518
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Principal Legal Officer – Institutional and General Legal Affairs
Directorate: Office of the Legal Counsel
Division: Institutional and General Legal Affairs Section
Job Grade: P2
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- To provide technical support for the Institutional and General Legal Affairs Division of the African Union Commission.
- Assists in the following up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggests new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contributes in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use.
- Assists in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
- Participates in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engages with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets.
- Assists in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Unit/Division
- Provides technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides legal advice to senior Officers, teams within OLC, the LC, and to stakeholders
- Contributes to legal or policy analyses and publications.
- Assists in developing and implementing capacity building and training programmes.
- Contributes to standard-setting, through participating in meetings, drafting work and promoting international standards.
- Participates in the organization of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders
- Engages with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop relationships
- Contributes to the day-to-day administrative management of the Division
- Assists in following up on the activities of the Division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Assists senior colleagues in servicing Policy Organs.
- Assists with the preparation of seminars and symposia, and presentations on various legal issues at such events.
- Provides guidance to more junior staff.
- Performs other ad hoc duties as assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law with a minimum of five (5) years postgraduate releavant work experience.
- Master’s Degree in Law with a minimum of two (2) years relevant work experience.
- Communication ability both orally and in writing.
- Analytical skills.
- Ability to work across business units / geographies; cultural sensitivity
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Spanish and Arabic); fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Change Management.
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Accountability awareness and Compliance.
- Learning Orientation.
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing:
- Drive for result..
- Continuous Improvement Focus
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
12th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.