African Export Import Bank (Afreximbank) was established in Abuja, Nigeria in October, 1993 by African Governments, African private and institutional investors as well as non-African financial institutions and private investors for the purpose of financing, promoting and expanding intra-African and extra-African trade.
The Bank, headquartered in Cairo, the capital of the Arab Republic of Egypt, commenced operations on 30 September, 1994, following the signature of a Headquarters Agreement with the host Government in August, 1994. It has branch offices in Harare, Abuja and Abidjan and will open an East Africa branch office shortly.
CA Global Headhunters has been retained by the Afreximbank based in Cairo, Egypt to recruit for the position below:
Job Title: Manager – Intra African Trade Initiative (Intra-African Trade Fair & Exhibitions – Trade & Investment Promotion)
Reference Number: LEEBLR033
Location: Cairo, Egypt
- The position holder is supposed to assist and support the Managing Director, Intra-African Trade Initiative (IATI) and Head of Unit to implement specific interventions that seek to market or promote the flow of trade and investment between and among African countries and between Africa and Africans in Diaspora, including the following:
- Supporting Regional Economic Communities (RECs) to promote trade and investment initiatives and programmes;
- Supporting African corporates to explore investment opportunities through business matchmaking, trade missions and forums;
- Supporting the emergence of Business Councils as an effective means of encouraging business exchanges between and among African countries towards promoting Intra-African trade and investments;
- Supporting the conceptualization, planning, and implementation of the Intra-African Trade Fairs, which is also a platform for facilitating Intra-African trade and investment information exchange, bringing together continental and global players to showcase their goods and services, and explore business and investment opportunities in Africa;
- Development and implementation of the Bank’s Pan-African Trade and Investment Promotion Agency (PATIPA) initiative in support of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA). The candidate will be expected to participate in the AfCFTA negotiations on Investments.
- Assist IATI in undertaking the following Trade and Investment Promotion Initiatives and Programmes:
- Develop and manage relationships with organised private sector focused on promoting Intra-African trade and investment (e.g. Bilateral Business Councils, the African Business Council (AfBC), Pan-African Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Country-Africa, and Regional Business Councils);
- Support the effective use of the exhibition spaces at Afreximbank-African Trade Centres;
- Identify African countries that the Bank will provide business and match-making support towards attracting investments in order to promote inflow of African Direct Investments. In this instance, the Bank will promote and organize missions to African countries and RECs with select African businesses and in particular, the Bank’s Intra-African Trade Champions;
- Develop a programme to support and strengthen Trade and Investment Promotion initiatives of Regional Economic Communities (RECs);
- Play an active role in organizing trade and investment promotion activities in Africa, especially those directed towards intra-regional trade and investments;
- Supporting the Bank to ensure the development and implementation of the Pan-African Trade and Investment Promotion Agency (PATIPA), an initiative in support of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA);
- Supporting programmes of Export Promotion Agencies, Investment Promotion Councils, Business Councils etc., that give them a platform to exhibit their cultural, trade and investment opportunities;
- Assist in the organization of programmes that support the promotion of the Bank’s programmes and facilities;
- Support related research work and policy briefs as may be required to boost knowledge on African Direct Investments and related themes.
- Assist IATI to implement the Intra-African Trade Fairs (IATF):
- Preparing an annual Intra-African Trade Fair Work Plan and Budget for Management’s Approval;
- Implementing activities in the approved work plan relating to the preparation and organization of bi-annual trade fairs with key focus on:
- IATF Conference;
- Business to Business and Business to Government Exchanges;
- Virtual Trade Fair;
- Creative Economy and Youth Start-Up programme;
- Automotive show;
- Marketing and Promotional activities; and
- Sponsorship Mobilization and Fulfilment.
- Support the development of policies and guidelines for Afreximbank’ s participation in third party Trade Fairs and Exhibitions including country solo exhibitions;
- Work with Trade Fair Organisers to ensure that the key performance targets, both Physical and Virtual Trade Fairs are met;
- As may be delegated by Senior Management, representing the Bank in high level meetings, fora and making presentations in conformity with the high standards for which the Bank has become known;
- Carry out any other work related to the Intra-African Trade Fair and Exhibitions Unit; and
- Any other duties as assigned by Management.
Requirements: Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree and Post graduate Degree in Economics, Social Sciences, International Trade, Public Policy, or other related disciplines from a recognized University;
- A recognized post graduate professional qualification in a relevant area will be an advantage;
- Sound experience of at least 8 years with a relevant company which may be a leading trade policy/promotion organization, think tank, or development/international finance institution, events organisation, and familiarity with the practical solutions on aspects of trade facilitation including trade and investment promotion (especially Intra-African Trade and Investment), trade missions, business matchmaking etc.;
- Demonstrated experience in trade facilitation, trade promotion, organising trade and investment promotion events, Business to Business/Government Exchanges and business linkages;
- Demonstrated experience of general trade and investment issues within the continent (e.g. regional blocs, AfCFTA etc.);
- Knowledge of the role of trade and market information in terms of facilitating Intra-African Trade and investment;
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting with good knowledge of banking practices in Africa;
- Ability to interact with senior officials of national, regional, and international trade and investment bodies and national governments and to represent the Bank in important professional fora where oral presentation of papers will be necessary to high level technical and professional audiences;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages is an added advantage (French, Arabic and Portuguese);
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including ability to organize and manage human resources to attain goals; and
- Ability to demonstrate proof of passion and commitment to the socio-economic empowerment of African countries and the ability to support the achievement of Afreximbank’ s mandate.
- Willing and able to relocate to Cairo.
- Suitably qualified candidates from all African nationalities are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
30th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to “Lise Kotze” at: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: CA Global will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not yet had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.