The National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI) was established in 1992 by the Federal Government after the recommendations of the White Paper Committee on the 1991 Report of a 150 member National Committee on Engineering Infrastructure comprising Scientists, Engineers, Administrators, Federal and State Civil Servants, Economists, Lawyers, Bankers and Industrialists.
The mandate of NASENI is specifically in the area of Capital goods, research, production and reverse engineering. NASENI, by its mandate and scope of operation is the Nigerian only purpose built Agency designed to conduct developmental work in the areas of manufacturing and as such, it is capable of coordinating the proliferation of technologies developed either within or outside of its Centers including patents obtained. Technologies developed in the areas of spares, components and systems engineering are to be transferred to Entrepreneurs for the production of goods and services.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position below for NASENI’s Research and Development (R&D) Institute:
Job Title: Managing Director, Engineering Materials and Equipment Development Institute (EMEDI) – CONRAISS 15
Institute: Engineering Material and Equipment Development Institute (EMEDI)
Tenure: 4 Years Renewable
Mandate of The Institute
The Engineering Material and Equipment Development Institute (EMEDI), Katsina is to undertake Research and Development (R&D) work in the area of Engineering Materials and Infrastructure for the production of various types, sections and sizes of machines and equipment. The institute will facilitate development of silica abundant in Katsina using modern methods and tools. Current and mid-term emphasis of the Institute are the following amongst others:
- Infrastructural materials and development of Austempered Ductile Iron (ADI) as replacement for HSLA steels in low component and part applications, for example, gears, shaft, crankshafts, dies, etc.
- Modem manufacturing techniques in the form of computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAD/CAM), which breed production / manufacturing efficiency, precision, and low unit costs.
- Polymers which include research and development work on polymer electronics for example in areas of light emitting diodes (LED), and photo voltaic cells (PV) for energy generation.
- Nanoparticles, nanoindentation, nanotechnology products and their applications in Biomaterials, Polymers and Crystalline solids.
- Virtual Manufacturing where modeling and simulation techniques enables the visualization on the computer, the effects of design and process parameters, prior to actual manufacturing.
- Computational Material Sciences.
- Development of different types of glass, solar cells and electronics component using silica.
- The Managing Director will be responsible for all operations of the Institute.
- He reports directly to the Executive Vice Chairman, National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure who is the Chief Executive of the Agency.
- He is accountable for the day-to-day running of the Institute; he manages the resources of the Institute for the purpose of meeting product and profit targets.
- He prepares proposals for long-term plans, as well as the capital/operating budget of the Institute.
- Candidate must possess relevant University Degree, or their equivalents, up to Ph.D level in any field of Chemical / Mechanical / Metallurgical Engineering, Physics or Chemistry.
- COREN registration and membership of engineering professional bodies are mandatory, while scholarly publications in reputable journals are added advantage.
- At least 15 years post graduation experience in the field of Materials Science and Engineering, project and process development, teaching, research and industry.
- Sound knowledge of material designs, selection, manufacturing and the relationship of these to the market place, will be an advantage.
- In addition, very reasonable knowledge of production management and control will be expected.
- Candidate must have demonstrable leadership qualities and show interest in continuous development, training and retraining of staff, especially in the new and emerging areas of science and technology including CNC and CAD/CAM, Visual Manufacturing and Nanotechnology.
- Candidates must possess relevant Ph.D. Degrees appropriate to the mandate of the institutes.
- Minimum of 15 years post-qualification (post first degree) experience in technical fields, and requisite experience at management level is a mandatory requirement.
- Candidates must possess knowledge in the new and emerging areas of science and technology, including CNC and CAD/CAM.
- Candidates must demonstrate leadership qualities.
- Candidates must demonstrate capacity for Research and Development (R&D).
- Candidate should possess the ability to develop/implement prospective vision for the institute, establish strategic goals, liaise with the private sector and other local and international research and technology-based organizations.
- Senior executives in the Engineering/Science Infrastructure operation of NASENI, who meet the conditions herein are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates without factory/industrial experience need not apply.
- Candidates must not be more than fifty-five (55) years of age by October 2022.
- Ownership of productive patents would be an advantage.
Application Closing Date
9th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are required to forward their Applications with Fifteen (15) copies of their up-to-date CV. This include among others:
- Educational / Professional Qualifications with Dates
- Relevant Job Experience
- Present Salary and Emolument
- Confidential Report from three Referees addressed directly to “The Executive Vice Chairman / Chief Executive.
- Contact address with Telephone Numbers and Email Addresses.
All Applications should be sent in one envelope with the name of the Institute marked at the Top Left Hand Corner and addressed to:
The Executive Vice Chairman / Chief Executive,
National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI),
Idu Industrial Area,
PMB 391, Garki,
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.