The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Migration Health Physician (On-Call)
SVN No. : CFCV2022.134
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Assessment Center
IOM Classification: On-Call (Hourly)
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Hourly Contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (Abuja) / Migration Health Officer (Lagos), the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Abuja /Lagos, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Performing migration health assessment and completing related medical documentation of migrants selected for migration in accordance with the resettlement country’s Medical Examination Guidelines/Protocols for Immigrants and the IOM Migration Health Assessment Guidelines.
- Coordinate and ensure appropriate documentation of Biodata and Registration of all Migrants presenting or presented for a Migration health assessment including appropriate monitoring and storage of all biodata under strict confidentiality code of conduct.
- Providing technical guidance to IOM medical staff in IOM Abuja/Lagos to ensure that the following activities are performed in accordance with the technical requirements of the resettlement countries:
- Medical treatment and follow-up programs
- Data Processing and management
- Pre-embarkation medical examination of departing refugees Contributing to the analysis and technical elaboration of data gathered from the migration health assessment.
- Conduct the MHAC’s migration health assessment process to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
- Documentation, certification, and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required
- Perform treatment for TB and sexually transmitted infections and provide support to the HIV and counseling activities. Oversee and coordinate the management of TB cases to ensure effective TB treatment.
- Coordinating with the local/national health authorities, physicians, hospitals and laboratories, as needed.
- Assisting in the preparation, design, analysis and implementation of research activities related to migration health, tuberculosis and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Assisting in developing potential health and migration projects/programmes for the mission.
- Performing any other related duties that the direct supervisor may assign
- University Degree in Medicine and Surgery from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of professional work experience
- Minimum of two (2) years, post-internship, continuous clinical experience, preferably in a multidisciplinary hospital setting.
- Valid license to practice in Nigeria is mandatory
- Continuous clinical experience in busy public or private hospitals
- Experience or demonstrated knowledge in migration health/travel medicine, migration medical assessments, epidemiology and/or international public health.
- Experience of working with international humanitarian organizations, in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage
- Nationals with a good knowledge of, and experience in, the culture and traditions of their country.
- Ability and willingness to work in difficult areas/situations.
- Training/experience in Paediatrics, Internal Medicine or Infectious Diseases is an advantage.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and SharePoint.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in handling and reporting data
- Willing to accept a flexible work schedule.
- Fluency in English is required (Oral and Written).
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Application Closing Date
31st October 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating the position number in the subject line.
Click here to apply online
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for
- Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2022.134. Lagos Migration Health Physician- (On-Call) readvertised
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV)
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position, candidates residing in a country other than the duty station will not be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
- Please note that this position is open only to national applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
- Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates.
- For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.