The Nigeria Climate Change Response Programme (NCCRP) is a four-year (2019-2023) Technical Assistance support programme to guarantee the country’s economic growth and development strategies while meeting its Paris Agreement (2017) pledge of conditionally reducing its Greenhouse Gas emissions by 45% by 2030, when compared to “business-as-usual” levels.
The NCCRP is funded by the European Union (EU) and will be implemented at the territorial level of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the selected pilot states of Kano in the north of the country and Ogun in the south of the country. The programme’s genesis is traceable to the EU’s desire under its Global Public Goods and Challenges Thematic Programmes, and is designed to contribute to Nigeria’s progressive achievement of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 13 on “climate action”. Additionally, It promotes progress towards goals 7 “affordable and clean energy” and 5 “gender equality”.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Short-Term Expert (Junior) – Provision of Technical Support to Regularly Update and Manage the Content of the NCCRP Web Pages while Ensuring their Usability and Accuracy
Reference No. of the Mission: S334/STE/2022/ToR/2-5
Category of Expert: National Junior Short-Term Expert
Title of Mission: Provision of Technical Support to Regularly Update and Manage the Content of the NCCRP Web Pages while Ensuring their Usability and Accuracy
Key Experts Responsible: Mr Todd NGARA, Team Leader, Mr Kayode EGBELEYE, Capacity Building & Communications Expert
No. of Working Days (WD): 70Working Days
Indicative Dates: 10/2022 – 06/2024
Name of Project: Implementation of Nigeria Climate Change Response Programme (NCCRP), EuropeAid/140100/DH/SER/NG
Contract No: ENV/2019/409-995
Context and Justification
- A National Consultant (Website Coordinator) is being recruited as a resource person and advisor to provide technical support for the management and coordination of maintenance of the NCCRP website. This is a key activity and an integral part of the Nigerian Climate Change Response (NCCRP) Task 2.
- The dissemination of climate change knowledge and raising awareness of climate change issues among diverse Nigerian audiences constitute the essential core of the NCCRP task.
- Scheduled for execution in collaboration with Working Groups, subject-matter specialists, officials of the Department of Climate Change and other external stakeholders.
- The activity, in line with the approved NCCRP Communications and Visibility Plan and under the supervision of Key Expert, Capacity Building & Communications is intended to promote the awareness of climate change issues among both internal and external NCCRP audiences.
- Following the ratification of the Paris Agreement in 2017, Nigeria committed itself to reducing its Greenhouse Gas (GHGs) emissions unconditionally by 20% and conditionally by 45% by 2030 in line with its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) pledge.
- To support Nigeria’s efforts towards the fulfilment of its conditional NDC target, the Federal Government of Nigeria is being supported by the European Union (EUD) through the provision of technical assistance for the implementation of the Nigerian Climate Change Response Programme (NCCRP) with the following objectives:
- Implement appropriate mitigation measures;
- Enhance the national capacity to adapt to climate change;
- Raise the profile of Climate Change Science, technology, research, and development;
- Increase public awareness and encourage private sector participation in combating climate change;
- Strengthen national institutions and mechanisms for effective climate change governance.
- Operational since January 2020, the NCCRP in a bid to support the dissemination of climate change knowledge and raise awareness through campaigns finds it necessary to endow itself with a website as a tool to reach out to external audiences.
- The programme therefore intends to digitise, catalogue and display on its website, initiatives that speak to Nigeria´s efforts of living up to its pledge on Nationally Determined Contributions, along with other pertinent programme information and allied content.
- It is hoped that the NCCRP´s move towards a more robust web presence will make it more accessible to key stakeholders and the public. Additionally, the website will position the programme as a readily accessible source of credible information on climate change across Nigeria and beyond.
- Largely mitigation focused, the technical assistance for the implementation of the NCCRP is being provided by the Conseil Santé Consortium (French consulting company) with the Department of Climate Change (DCC), Federal Ministry of Environment, as the main beneficiary.
- A participatory approach is adopted by the Conseil Santé Consortium (see annex) involving consultations between a Technical Assistance Team (TAT), the staff of DCC and sectoral stakeholders brought together in technical Working Groups during the NCCRP inception phase workshop.
- The Working Groups are instrumental to the smooth preparation and execution of technical aspects of the NCCRP. In this process, based on their expertise and knowledge of the Nigerian situation, they shall identify task-related priorities, potential problems, options for solutions, action plans, and recommendations for a smooth implementation of action plans, etc.
- It is expected that TAT members with the support of Non-Key Experts and National Short-Term Experts will facilitate the day-to-day execution of planned activities.
Objectives of the Mission
- The goal of the consultancy is to provide technical support to and facilitate the redesign, production of content, management, and maintenance of the NCCRP website, which is the programme’s window to prioritised audiences as emphasised in the NCCRP Communication and Visibility Plan.
Specific Objectives of the Mission
The main objectives of this consultancy are outlined as follows:
- If necessary, redesign the website to augment its ability to disseminate informative and engaging content.
- Provide technical support (assistance, guidance, analytical tools, concepts, etc.) to the provision of a strong design sense, including modern web design trends and best practices and execution of compelling visual user experiences.
- Highlight the impact of climate change, sectoral contributions, and efforts of both the Nigerian Government as well as the private sector to mitigate the impact of climate change.
- Amplify the voices of residents from different communities on climate change issues affecting them.
Tasks to be Carried Out – No. of WDs
The Mission will be carried out in three steps, according to the provisional Work Schedule found below:
- If necessary, make propositions to the Key Expert for the improvement of the methodology suggested by Conseil Santé Consortium to achieve the objective of the Mission;
- In coordination with the Key Expert, organise meetings with the Working Group and external stakeholders as required to perform stipulated tasks;
- Participate in other organised meetings and consultations taking place during the Mission;
- Undertake other tasks as required to achieve the Mission´s objectives.
The duration of the 70-day mission will be spread over 24 months, and the consultant will be expected to carry out the mission in consultation with the Key Experts and the Conseil Santé / SOFRECO information technology team in France. However that during the mission, and beyond key tasks, the Consultant will be required to carry out the following:
- Indicative Commencement Date: 10/2022
- Specific objective 1: Provide technical support to overhaul the architecture and design of the websitethrough the execution of compelling visual user experiences under the supervision of the KE4
- Sub-objective 1.1: Facilitate the production of high-quality content andassuring accessibility
- Intervention A 2.2: NCCRP architecture and design are overhauled.
- A 2.2.1Review of the current NCCRP website architecture and navigability including the listing of propositions for an upgrade or redesign of the website(10 days).
The total duration of this segment of the Mission is estimated at 10 Working Days. The Mission will be carried out in different steps, according to the schedule outlined below.
The duration of the first step of the Mission will be 10 Working Days spread over a period of 1 month during which a new and revamped website design architecture will be presented to Conseil Sante for approval.