Jumia is Africa’s leading internet group, with already over 3,000 employees in more than 20 African countries and huge successes such as Jumia, Jumia Travel, Jumia Food, Jumia Deals, Jumia House, Jumia Jobs and Jumia Services. It is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by MTN, Millicom, Rocket Internet, Axa, Orange, Goldman Sachs & CdC.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: NI – Head of Legal
Employment Type: Full time
- The Head of Legal, Nigeria will be the lead legal adviser to the Jumia management team in Nigeria, with direct line management responsibility for a small team of lawyers in the market.
- They will be required to partner the business in achieving its goals by ensuring that legal and commercials risks are identified and managed effectively through robust contracting and legal risk management, and by delivering clear and practical strategies and solutions.
- The Head of Legal, Nigeria will also work with teams in Jumia’s other markets on projects to support the overall strategy of Jumia Group.
- Negotiating, drafting, and reviewing contracts across all areas of the business (including commercial, technology and payments agreements) to protect the commercial and legal interests of the business and maximize value.
- Advising on and managing legal risk in relation to consumer protection, data privacy and other regulations, including assessing the relevant regulatory requirements and managing relationships with external bodies.
- Managing corporate governance and company secretarial work in respect of Jumia legal entities in Nigeria.
- Implementing procedures to manage claims and disputes, including pre-action case management, mediation, arbitration, and litigation.
- Line management and professional development for the legal team in Nigeria.
- Building and managing relationships with our external law firms.
- Engaging in other aspects of the legal function and other special projects as topics arise, including projects to advance the strategy of Jumia Group globally.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 10 years of post-qualification legal experience, gained at a leading law firm and inhouse at a leading multinational FMCG, fintech or telco.
- Experience advising senior business leaders and executive leadership teams.
- Commercial contracts experience in a payments/financial services environment.
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment as it impacts payments, digital services and e-commerce.
- Experience working in a fast-growing and agile inhouse environment.
- Excellent legal drafting skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate knowledge of the law in a manner that is understood and respected by employees.
- Commercial application of legal knowledge.
- Strong planning, organizational and management skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- A good troubleshooter/problem solver who works well under pressure.
- Drive to succeed in a challenging and changing environment.
- Ability to perform with a high level of discretion, professionalism and integrity.
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment.
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African ecommerce sector.
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online