Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition and Health Sector Manager
- Location: Damaturu, Yobe
- Starting date: As Soon As Possible
- Direct Line Manager: Project Manager
- Job Type: Full time
- Level: Manager / Supervisor
- Depart: Programmes – Health and Nutrition
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Implementation of Health and Nutrition activities at the facility and community level:
- Participate in the development of joint activity work plans with the state and within ACF sector meetings
- Ensure quarterly state coordination meetings are conducted at least 2 weeks for the end of the quarter
- Ensure all LGA coordination meetings are held monthly at least by the third week of the month and report shared.
- Ensure that all services are fully integrated, scaled-up and implemented as per national protocols
- Ensure linkage between the health facility and the community in the respective catchment areas
- Plan with the MOH on the training of HF staff on IMAM and IYCF and other health packages is done in a quality and timely manner
- Building the capacity of Health and Nutrition Officers to effectively support Facility staff and community volunteers (CVs) to deliver on CMAM, IYCF and other health interventions in the LGA
- Ensure timely capacity build for HF and LGA health department in managing Health and Nutrition reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Support H&N Officers conduct health and nutrition screening for children and records updated.
- Support H&N Officers to ensure effective linkages between the beneficiaries in the CMAM, IYCF and other health programs and the health facilities.
- Facilitate surveillance studies on Health and Nutrition situation in the state and report shared for further engagement.
- Ensure a constant supply chain for drugs and RUTF supplies in the HFs on a monthly basis in the supported LGAs.
- Build the capacity of HF staff on record management for the timely flow of health and nutrition data.
Objective 2 – Scale-up and functionality of Care Groups (CGs) and fathers group (FGs)at LGA level:
- Ensure quarterly and annual targets for Care Groups, Father group and Neighbour Women (NW) grouping at targeted LGAs are met with details on those that newly join the groups monthly.
- In collaboration with the state ministry of Health, ensure that the capacity of Health workers is built on health and nutrition core services.
- In collaboration with the State Ministry of health identify, and build the capacity of CHIPPS and link them to the mainstream HFs function.
- Ensure the functionality of HFs, CHIPPS, Care group, FGs, and CGV gaps closed in a timely manner.
- Support LGA based data review by H&N Officers for sustained LGA based capacity to review data, report and share learning.
- Ensure the capacity of HWs for proper management of Health and Nutrition records in HFs and community groups is built and retrievable.
- Ensure Health and Nutrition Officers conduct hands-on supervision of HWs in HF for quality health and nutrition services and gaps closed.
- Ensure functional referral mechanism in place for CGs, FG and HFs
Objective 3 – Project Management:
- Support in developing Health and Nutrition timeline
- Support in developing financial forecast in line with the H&N activity timelines and planning at a different level
- Ensure close collaboration with HR and Finance during recruitment planning, screening, finalization and managing process for Health and Nutrition related positions
- Ensure close collaboration with logistic and finance during the planning of workshops, training and/or meeting that requires financial advances and/or logistical procurement, etc and ensure timely delivery of project activities.
- Ensure close collaboration with logistic during any assessment planning, data collection for arranging transportation and other logistical aspects
- Plan, Review, update and manage budget including H&N related follow up regular activities on a regular basis and share with Senior project manager.
- Maintain close collaboration with state MoH, primary health care agencies and LGA public health coordinators on all Health and Nutrition issues
- Lead coordination with state government and non-government partners working in the targeted LGAs on a quarterly basis in close coordination with HSS Sector manager.
Objective 4 – Community-based assessments, community profiling, and community-based interventions:
- In collaboration with the State Ministry of Health share health and nutrition gaps with key state leadership for action by the state.
- Participate in Health and Nutrition surveillance study and reporting to inform programming
- Document the functionality of community structures and models and share Senior Project Manager.
- Conduct a situational analysis of multisector issues and guide Officers on specific measures to close the gaps.
- Health and Nutrition Sector manager an active member of a coalition of partners, meeting at least quarterly on sector-specific programming issues.
Objective 5 – Information management, reporting, and coordination:
- Ensure that health facility matrix, 4W/5W are updated by the respective teams and submitted in time
- Timely and quality submission of monthly Quantitative and qualitative Health and Nutrition data
- Timely and quality submission of Result Matrix Reports for Health and Nutrition
- Ensure that attendance sheet is used and maintained by the teams for on-job coaching sessions, workshops/meetings, and refresher training
- Identify key progress, gaps and challenges with proposed solutions from the monthly follow up visits, health facility matrix updates and inform N/H project manager
- Closely coordinate with State/LGA representatives from SMoH and health care agencies responsible for service delivery for the targeted LGAs
- Organize and lead the LGA based monthly coordination meetings and share reports of LGA based meetings with Spm.
- Participate in the relevant cluster meetings and another related forum at district or governorate level as and when requested by the PM or in absence of PM.
- Conduct regular meetings with other ACF sector or partners to discuss and document lessons learned
- Regularly report and coordinate with line mangers regarding challenges, issues faced in the field for timely and appropriate decision making.
Objective 6 – Performance Management:
- Communicate Action Against Hunger performance standards and expectations to team members which includes:
- 10 minutes monthly conversation completed for all staff by end of month
- 3 months/end of probation performance appraisal and annual/ end of contract appraisal completed within a set timeline.
- Establish performance objectives, provide feedback, identify strengths and areas for professional improvement.
- Effectively manage staff performance issues for staff not meeting set targets.
- Contribute to the professional development and improvement of team members by providing support.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine / Public Health / Nursing /or related field
- Certificate in project management for development will be an added advantage
Skills and Experience
- 3 years’ experience in the primary health care system
- Good understanding of Nigeria health system structure
- The previous role at coordination/supervisory level is required
- Fluency in spoken and written English language and Hausa language will be added advantage
- Working knowledge of MS office
- Work experience in humanitarian settings
- Work experience with government health care system is an added advantage
- Experience of working in partnership with or directly with the Ministry of Health is preferable
- Ability to plan and organize work independently with appropriate follow-through while paying close attention to detail and can read and abstract information from a variety of formats.
- Ability to delegate and follow up of task among teams
- Ability to manage a wide range of stakeholders for collaboration, coordination, and consultation.
Minimum Basic Salary
NGN 308,589 per month.