United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Specialist, P3
>>>CLICK HERE to Join JOBS IN NIGERIA & OVERSEAS Telegram Channel
- Under the direct supervision and general guidance of the Nutrition Manager, P4, Nutrition Specialist supports the development and preparation of the nutrition programme and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting the programme progress of a sector of the nutrition programme within the country programme.
- The Nutrition Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of concrete and sustainable results in maternal, infant and child nutrition programmes / projects.
- This is carried out according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM), as well as UNICEF’s Strategic Plans, standards of performance, and accountability framework.
Key Tasks / Responsibilities
Support to Programme Development and Planning:
- Contribute to and support the preparation, design and updating of the situation analysis for the nutrition sector(s) to ensure comprehensive and current data on maternal and child nutrition is available to guide policy development, and the design and management of nutrition programmes/projects.
- Keep abreast of development trends to enhance programme management, efficiency and delivery.
- Participate in strategic programme discussions on the planning of nutrition programmes / projects.
- Formulate, design and prepare a sector of the nutrition programme proposal, ensuring alignment with UNICEF’s Strategic Plans, Country Programme, and coherence / integration with the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), regional strategies, as well as national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Establish specific goals, objectives, strategies, and implementation plans for the nutrition sector(s) based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for programme review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies, and to determine national priorities / competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programmes / projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
Programme Management, Monitoring and Delivery of Results:
- Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators, and UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurements, to assess and strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector in nutrition programmes.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action and interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare and assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths and/or weaknesses in programme management. Identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals
- Actively monitor programmes and projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners and stakeholders to assess progress. Identify bottlenecks and potential problems, and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Monitor and verify the optimum and appropriate use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations, procedures, donor commitments, and standards of accountability. Ensure timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare regular and mandated programme / project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress.
Technical and Operational Support to Programme Implementation:
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes, best practices, and approaches on nutrition and related issues to support programme development planning, management, implementation, and delivery of results.
- Participate in discussions with national partners, clients and stakeholders to promote nutrition and development issues especially in the areas of emergency preparedness and maternal, newborn and child survival and development.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
- Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives for programme development, contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated.
Networking and Partnership Building:
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with nutrition sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge.
- Facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve programme goals on maternal and child rights as well as social justice and equity.
- Prepare communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for nutrition programmes (maternal, newborn and child survival and development).
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in inter-agency discussions, ensuring that UNICEF’s position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF development planning and agenda setting.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Ccapacity Building:
- Apply and introduce innovative approaches and good practices to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders, and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best and cutting edge practices in nutrition management and information systems. Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients and stakeholders to promote sustainable results on nutrition related programmes and projects.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will need to have…
- An Advanced University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Nutrition, Public Health, Nutritional Epidemiology, Global / International Health and Nutrition, Health / Nutrition Research, Policy and/or Management, Health Sciences, Nutritional Epidemiology, or another health-related science field.
- A minimum of five years of professional work experience in a developing country in one or more of the following areas is required: nutrition, public health, nutrition planning and management, or maternal, infant and child health / nutrition care.
- Experience of working in an emergency context is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
- Builds and maintains partnerships (II)
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (II)
- Drive to achieve results (II)
- Innovates and embraces change (II)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (II)
- Thinks and acts strategically (II)
- Nurtures, leads and manages people (II)
- Works collaboratively with others (II).
Application Closing Date
3rd January, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online