The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Pharmacy Officer
Reference No.: req14338
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: No
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014, the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations.
IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Monguno and Gwoza of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods.
Job Overview / Summary
- The Pharmacy Officer is responsible for quality, management and dispensing of medicines and medical material in IRC’s and supported government facilities in Borno State.
- S/he reports directly to the Senior Health Manager (line supervisor) and indirectly to the Senior Pharmacy Manager.
Effective Stock Management, Medical Supplies and Analysis:
- In close collaboration with the Senior Pharmacy Manager and Drug Dispensers, develops stock levels alert (based on an average monthly consumption (AMC) and morbidity data); Gathers stock indicators, analyze them, observe consumption trend, and discuss with the Senior Health Manager/Senior Pharmacy Manager to avoid stock-outs at the health facility and the financial losses generated by expired items.
- Liaise between the pharmacy warehouse and the health facilities for prompt requisition and delivery of drugs/other medical supplies. Inform clinician, doctors, and midwife about drug availability in the warehouse.
- Ensure quality assurance by conducting supervisory visits to IRC clinics and supported government health facilities: S/he will serve as focal point for good distribution and dispensing practices in clinics.
- Support the dispenser for each team/facility to maintain and monitor good record of receiving, storing, dispatching of medical items in line with IRC guidelines or/and procedures.
- Regularly monitor the quality of product in storage at the health facilities and report any concern to the Senior Health Manager, Pharmacy manager.
- Update and manage all pharmacy files (including sites’ ones) monthly including monthly physical inventory file.
- Support the Area office and facility’s pharmacy to maintain permanently good housekeeping of the IRC pharma supplies (checking of temperature and hygiene).
- When needed, supports the team to dispense medicines and/or medical supplies to patients, as prescribed by the clinician. Also provide patients and their caregivers with adequate information on drug usage, possible side effects and additional advice as appropriate and in adherence to MoH protocols.
- Promote the quality of the IRC’s health programs by participating in continuous medical education program with the IRC health team and promote rational drug use by the clinician when inconsistencies of prescriptions are noted in view of patient safety and compliance.
- Conduct additional tasks as assigned by the supervisors.
- Support the facilities to keep daily records of drug consumption and submit weekly reports.
- Compile monthly consumptions from the health facilities.
- Supervise/support the teams to conduct monthly physical inventory and share analysis with the sector lead.
- Based on monthly consumption and inventory, conduct analysis of needs, forecasts, calculation of replenishment orders and buffer stocks.
- Provide a report of field visit with objectives achieved and recommendation to be followed.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position reports to: Senior Health Manager
- Position indirectly supervises: Pharmacy Technicians/Drug Dispensers
- Indirect Reporting: Snr Pharmacy Manager,
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: Health (Clinical Outreach Staff, Doctors, Midwives, Health/Rep Health Managers) and other sectors (WPE, M&E, Governance, Finance, Supply Chain
- External: Other partners- NGO’s, MOH etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy with practicing license and at least 2 years working experience in the relevant humanitarian setting is preferred.
- Experience in deep field mission as a pharmacist in humanitarian setting is highly recommended.
- Must be registered with relevant licensing bodies and allowed to practice in Nigeria.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of drugs and medical supplies regulations of Nigeria.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- NGO work experience is an advantage.
- Should be able to use Microsoft Office especially MS-Word, Excel
- Able to communicate in English language (written and spoken); Knowledge of local languages is a plus
- Additional qualities: team worker, be flexible, and adaptability to transitions.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Competitive Monthly salary.
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family.
- Annual earned leave days.
- Pension scheme.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.