The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Policy Analyst
Requisition ID: 681
Location: South Africa, South Africa
Job Grade: P2
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Location: Midrand, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa
Directorate/Department: Pan-African Parliament (PAP)
Reports to: Head of Committees, Research, Documentation & Library Division
The Pan-African Parliament (PAP) was established as an organ of the African Union by the Protocol to the Treaty Establishing the African Economic Community relating to the Pan African Parliament to provide a common platform for the full participation of the African peoples, the diaspora and the grassroots organizations in discussions and decision-making on issues and challenges facing the continent. In seeking to achieve its objectives, the Pan African Parliament intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, recruiting three (3) Policy Analysts under the African Governance Architecture Support Project (AGA-SP).
The AGA project aims to contribute to good governance, respect for human rights, justice, and the rule of law in Africa, in accordance with Aspirations of African Union Agenda 2063. The AGA program which runs from 2021 to 2023, is supporting the development of policy research, analysis and documentation for the Pan African Parliament to strengthen the oversight function and ensure accountability in terms achieving the vision behind the AGA. The Pan African Parliament is therefore inviting applications from citizens of the African Union Member States with exceptional skills, competences, and track record of capacity to deliver cutting edge policy research, analysis, and dissemination in legal, political, socio and economic governance.
Purpose of Job
- To provide policy and strategic research support to Members, Permanent Committees and Secretariat to effectively execute its mandate as envisioned in article 3 (objectives) and 11 (powers and functions) of the Protocol establishing the PAP.
- The Analysts will examine, produce and disseminate cutting edge research products, memoranda, and policy briefs in support of PAP’s oversight, legislative, public and international participation, and administrative functions.
Designation and Functional Roles
Democratic Governance Analyst:
- Strengthen the research, analytical and documentation capacity of PAP to promote ratification, domestication and effective implementation of AU norms, policies and resolutions on democratic governance and human rights; The analyst will also support PAP in conducting relevant research and policy analysis to promote women, youth and persons with disability effective participation in democratic governance.
- Provide legal research, analytical and drafting support to PAP towards harmonisation and coordination of laws and policies of AU Member States, Regional Economic Communities as well as review and amendment of rules of procedure of AGA Platform Members.
- Undertake socio-economic research, analysis, and documentation in support of PAPs mandate of contributing to attainment of the objectives of the AU on regional integration.
- The analyst will enhance the capacity of PAP to promote among other issues – African Continental Free Trade Area (Affair); Free Movement of Persons in Africa; Effective Governance of Natural Resources, Climate Change and the Environment.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Committees, Research, Documentation and Library, the Policy Analysts will be responsible for the following:
- Work with leadership of committees to agree on thematic issues to be considered by the Committees derived from AU agreed themes.
- Liaise with the Committees unit in coordinating the work of the Committees.
- Conduct policy research on themes of interest to the Parliamentary Committees.
- Provide proactive and on-demand institutional research support services.
- Review AU policies and legal instruments under consideration by the Committees and submit policy review papers to guide the Committees.
- Analyse policy and provide policy advice and support using systematic methods.
- Support the drafting and publication of parliamentary documents and information dissemination by the Committees.
- Produce oversight reports and background analysis on specific issues under the guidance of the leadership of the Committees.
- Review and improve the quality of documents presented by external stakeholders such as civil society organisations; and
- Support the publication of articles and papers on topics of interest to the Parliament.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Political Science (Democratic Governance Analyst); Law (Legal Analyst), Economics or Sociology (Socio-Economic Analyst) or other relevant disciplines from a recognized University with two (2) years of relevant work experience or a Bachelor’s degree with five (5) years of relevant work experience preferably in a National or Regional Parliament, Public Sector or Private Sector in democratic governance, law and socio-economic policy research or analysis.
- Evidence of at least one single authored published article or knowledge product.
- Research and analytical skills in sectoral specific policy areas.
- Knowledge of research methods and methodologies.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and report writing skills.
- Understanding of African Union processes.
- Understanding of Parliamentary processes.
- Legislative drafting skills would be an added advantage.
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU working language is an added advantage.
- Ability to simplify and repurpose information for senior policy makers, technical experts and the general public.
- Experience in designing and presenting research findings in visually appealing formats is an added advantage.
- Curiosity and willingness to learn new technologies and communication methods.
- Strategic Insight..
- Developing Others..
- Change Management..
- Managing Risk..
- Teamwork and Collaboration..
- Learning Orientation..
- Communicating with Influence..
- Foster Accountability Culture..
- Analytical thinking and problem solving..
- Drive for result..
- Continuous improvement focus..
- Job Knowledge Sharing..
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on two (2) years fixed term contract, of which the first six (6) months be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract can be renewed subject to the duration of the project.
- The PAP is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- An indicative lump sum salary of US$88,381.02 (P2 Step 5) per annum plus other entitlements such as medical insurance, group life insurance among others in conformity with the rules and procedures applicable to the staff of the African Union on fixed term appointment.
Application Closing Date
9th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online