Maersk is an integrated container logistics company working to connect and simplify its customer’s supply chains. As the global leader in shipping services, the company operates in 130 countries and employs roughly 70,000 people. With simple end-to-end offering of products and digital services, seamless customer engagement and a superior end-to-end delivery network, Maersk enables its customers to trade and grow by transporting goods anywhere – all over the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Pre-legal Collections Counsel
Job Requisition ID: R47283
Job Type: Full time
- We are looking for a candidate to take up the new role of Pre-Legal Collections Counsel in Nigeria.
- As a Legal Collection Counsel, you are accountable for the execution of the day-to-day processing of transactions within defined standard operating procedures with a purpose of achieving service delivery goals for the organization and providing first level support for both technical and functional issues raised by end users.
- This is an exciting career opportunity to work in a multinational, Global 500 company that makes global trade happen.
- You will be interacting daily with colleagues internationally, giving you the opportunity to develop your professional skills in a global environment. We provide support for you to shape your own career by achieving expertise and learning on the job.
- Attend meetings as required and provide detailed reports of amounts under your management.
- Handle disputes from customers in coordination with Collectors, GSC teams and ensure the issues are resolved.
- Send demand letters to customers detailing the nature & extent of their debt and follow up to ensure the outstanding amounts are paid.
- Follow up with the payment application team to ensure all payments received from customers are correctly applied in a timely fashion.
- Visit customer premises and follow up for payment of overdue invoices where necessary.
- Where customers are non-responsive/unreachable, contact cx/sales teams in the various countries to provide alternative contacts/visit the customers.
- Maintain a record of all accounts under your management with a current update on their status.
- Maintain communication with Global OTC team for weekly reports on incoming accounts to legal from AR
- Maintain communication with In-country & GSC collections teams for supporting documentation as well as information on collection actions taken before tagging accounts under legal and customer responses (if any).
- Instruct private investigators/collection agencies to trace/attempt collection where collection options have been exhausted without response/payment.
- Maintain a record of all accounts under the management of Private Investigators/Collection Agencies with a current update on their status.
- Vet & process invoices for said vendors to ensure payment in accordance with agreed terms.
- Provide relevant supporting documentation to the external lawyers, including investigation reports where relevant.
Who We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, a Degree in Law ( is a plus).
- 3 – 5 years of working experience in Law.
- Outstanding negotiation skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to manage conflict and dissent in a professional manner.
- Able to manage pressure, self-driven, accountable, and passionate to delivering results.
- Fluent English ( is a must).
- An exciting role which is part of a dynamic and international organization with the opportunity to continuously apply and develop your competencies.
- We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and are continuously searching for new ways to invest in our talent through ongoing personal and professional development initiatives.
- Lastly, as one of the cornerstones of our values, we strive to deliver the right environment for our people while fostering a culture of fairness, mutual respect, responsibility, and care for our business and our customers.
Application Closing Date
6th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Our Recruitment Process
- Please apply before the Application Closing Date.
- If your profile matches job requirements, our recruiter will get in touch to share more about the role and get to know you better.
- If successful, you will discuss the role with the Line Manager and his team.