The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Nursing Officer
Requisition ID: 1513
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Division, Clinical Services
Directorate/Department: Medical and Health Services
Division: Clinical Services
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 1
Job Grade: P2
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for the day to day management of the Nursing Unit by supervising, guiding and mentoring of the Nurses and Medical Attendants. Ensures that all Nursing Activities are carried out according to agreed SOPs, International nursing standards and best practices.
- Assist in the preparation and following up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan;
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use;
- Conduct preliminary research on respective policy area and suggest new improvement on existing policy areas;
- Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area;
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined assignment areas;
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders;
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets;
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Unit/Division;
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure that patients for different consultations are well received, using excellent customer care approach, their consultations are promptly facilitated and physician orders carried out.
- Ensure that daily, routine general and specialized clinical nursing care provided to the MHSD Clients (inpatient and outpatient) is safe and accurate.
- Ensure proper planning and implementation of nursing care using good judgment and critical thinking based on scientific evidence.
- Provide emergency nursing care for Clients and monitor their care.
- Accompany the Physicians on ward rounds for all admitted patients and provide input into their management. Performs ward rounds regularly on all admitted patients and provide high level input into their management. Arranges their referral or medical evacuation where necessary and follow up their management
- In collaboration with the Doctors and supervisees, develop Nursing SOPs, strategies, policies and procedures for the management of patients and for performing nursing procedures.
- In collaboration with other Medical Staff, periodically review and streamline existing nursing SOPs.
- Ensure that all nursing procedures are performed in accordance to MHSD/ WHO/ other international guidelines and best practices.
- Ensure the highest possible standards of infection prevention and control, provide a safe environment for clients and a conducive working environment for Clinical staff.
- Participate in generating clinic data and reports for the MHSD.
- Ensure that an up-to-date registry of hospitals or clinics and their contact numbers for referral of patients/ clients is maintained.
- Supervise the transfer of patients and proper hand over to the appropriate staff in the referral hospitals.
- Facilitate/perform hospital/ home visits as needed to follow up on patient’s health condition or on their management and report back to the managing Doctor and immediate supervisor.
- Ensure provision of 24 hours Nurses duty coverage for day time, night time, weekend and public holiday on a shift basis and receive the shift reports.
- Lead the continuous evaluation of the nursing service provision for clients and make recommendations for improvement to the immediate supervisor.
- Participate in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate.
- Lead the Nursing unit preparedness and service provision during AU Summits and meetings.
- In collaboration with the supervisees, quantify and forecast requirements of medical/Nursing supplies and equipment for procurement and submit on time to the immediate supervisor.
- Review and capture data of suppliers/tender documents and contracts including purchase orders, follow-up with procurement unit and suppliers for evaluation and tender awards.
- Ensure that the required attention and care is given to all Nursing equipment as required by the manufacturer and that preventative maintenance are carried out as agreed and on schedule.
- Participate in continuing medical education programs for Medical Staff, supervise, mentor and train Clinical Attaches and Interns.
- Responsible for close supervision, further training, skills development and performance evaluation of staff under his/her supervision.
- Assist in following up on activities of the Division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined plans.
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Performing any other duties that may be assigned by the immediate supervisor
- Manage the planning and administration of the Nursing Unit.
- Ensure the provision of high quality, patient centred general and specialist nursing services to MHSD clients.
- Provide effective leadership, supervise, mentor and develop the supervisees.
- Actively participate in the preparation and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs for the Directorate
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Masters in Clinical Nursing with 2 years of work experience in a senior Clinical Nursing role
- Bachelor in similar studies with 5 years relevant experience
- Documented training in any of the clinical nursing specialties will be an added advantage.
- Must be registered to practice as a specialist clinical Nurse in his/her home Country or Country of residence.
- Must be a practicing clinical specialist Nurse as at the time of application.
- Work experience within a government, private practice or an International Organization is essential.
- Experience as head of a nursing unit/ Matron, service, section or department will be an advantage.
- Must have excellent clinical Nursing skills, able to teach and train team members and clinical attaches.
- Must have a friendly demeanor, empathy and be able to communicate well with medical staff, clients and care givers politely.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Must be conscientious in observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Familiarity with international nursing standards, best practices, and patient centered health care models.
- Must be computer literate, proficient with various software packages and Hospital Information Systems.
- Must have excellent planning, organizational and leadership skills.
- Able to communicate with and keep team members motivated in a complex, multi-cultural, multi ethnic environment to achieve unit goals.
- Must have strong oral, written and presentation skills.
- Proficient in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Fosters Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous Improvement Focus
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
15th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.