African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Procurement Operations Officer (COAO), SNFI3
Position Number: 50104484
Location: Luanda, Angola
Position Grade: PL4
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP will lead Senior Management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of keyboard and Management decisions.
The Hiring Department
- The SVP supervises the Fiduciary and Inspection Department (SNFI), which acts as the custodian of the procurement (including procurement for private and public partnership) and financial management (FM) profession, and has the following responsibilities for its functions:
- Developing and interpreting policy, strategy and related guidance notes and manuals;
- Preparing annual post review reports on the Bank’s FM and procurement operations for the Board;
- Developing training strategy for internal and external clients;
- Dialoguing with external and global partners with a view to building partnerships and fostering harmonization;
- Providing the secretariat for the Procurement Review Committee (PRC); and
- Inspecting and reporting on the performance of procurement and FM activities undertaken by the regions.
- The Principal Procurement Operations Officer is responsible to ensuring that the project procurement activities financed by the Bank are compliant with the Bank’s procurement policy. This is done by advising on procurement arrangements and reviewing procurement decisions within the project/program operations cycle from the identification to completion stages.
- The incumbent also contributes to the preparation of the Bank’s Country Strategy Paper, and to building procurement capacity of Borrowers which includes training of Borrower staff, advising on project related procurement matters, and assessing and strengthening the Borrower’s procurement systems.
- The Principal Procurement Operations Officer reports administratively to the Country Manager, Angola Country Office (COAO) and functionally to the Division Manager – Procurement (SNFI.3).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Country Manager, COAO and functional supervision of the Division Manager Procurement, the Principal Procurement Operations Officer will:
- Advise the various Sector Divisions involved in the supervision of Borrowers project implementation activities as required by the relevant Presidential Instructions.
- Advice Borrowers, Suppliers, entrepreneurs, Consultants, Contractors and other Entrepreneurs on all aspects related to the procurement of goods and services under Bank Group funded project.
- Participate in Preparation and Appraisal missions for projects with complex procurement components with a view to assisting Borrowers and Sector Divisions Staff to define the most appropriate modalities for procurement.
- Prepare the procurement chapter in the Project Appraisal Report.
- During the project/program preparation cycle missions, assessing the adequacy and effectiveness of the procurement capacity at the Executing Agencies and Project Implementation Unit as well as provide advisory technical support to the project/program team on matters of procurement as an input to a new project.
- Participate in the project/program Launching Mission to assist the project/program team in developing capacity building of the Executing Agency in procurement.
- Review, provide comments and participate in working group meetings of lending and non-lending activities reports.
- Receive, review and clear all tender related documents requiring the Bank’s “No Objection”, “Approval” or “Action” under the Procurement Policy of the Bank, in accordance with the Delegation of Authority Matrix; monitor practical aspects by assisting the Projects’ Task Managers to supervise the procurement activities carried out by Borrowers throughout the project cycle.
- Conduct the assessment of country procurement systems and prepare relevant reports using MAPS indicators for approval by the Manager and Director of SNFI; assist regional member countries (RMCs) for their procurement reforms and mobilize financial resources for this assistance.
- Undertake Assessment of Executing Agencies (EA) procurement capacity for each project – With the increasing emphasis on post-review of contracts for improved project implementation this activity, which can only be undertaken by Procurement Specialists will increase in content.
- Maintaining an on-going system of monitoring the compliance with the Bank’s Procurement Policy by the Borrowers and actions taken by project management to implement internal and external audit recommendations and reporting on the status of implementation.
- Facilitate and undertake training seminars /workshops for Borrowers and Bank Staff as well as certification of Bank’s procurement staff.
- Ensure that procurement information and data entering in SAP by sector experts are effective, correct and accurate.
- Undertaking Annual Post Procurement Review Report on on-going projects with a view to advising management on lessons learnt.
- Contribute to the efficient use of Information Management Systems for processing procurement requests and generating accurate procurement data for SNFI reports.
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Engineering, Public / Business Administration, Law, Procurement, Economics, or related fields.
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant professional experience in providing procurement support and advice to the preparation and implementation of programs and projects financed by the Bank or any other similar institution in developing countries.
- Proven familiarity with and solid experience in the practice of procurement of goods and works and the acquisition of consultancy services under donor-funded development projects/programs; it would be desirable to have knowledge of Bank Procurement policy.
- Experience in supervising and effectively managing implementation of developments projects and programs.
- Having private sector experience (e.g., PPP operations etc.) will be an added advantage.
- Ability to be flexible, open-minded with integrity, client and results oriented for achieving both Bank’s and Borrowers’ objectives.
- Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable Sector Staff and Borrowers to build their confidence and skills to deal with procurement issues.
- Good networking skills and judgment are required while working within teams and when building professional relationships with procurement specialists and sector specialists working in the Region.
- Ability to communicate effectively (Written and Oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language. Ability to work in Portuguese will be an added advantage.
- Competence with standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), preferably combined with knowledge and experience of SAP operations.
Application Closing Date
6th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This position is classified as an international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to “HR Direct” via: [email protected]
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.