Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps started its operations in 1979 in Portland, USA and has since expanded to 43 countries worldwide. The organization exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people secure productive and just communities. Our work focuses on areas of emergency relief, sustainable economic development, gender and education. Mercy Corps has been in Nigeria since 2012 and has grown into a multi-sectoral country office with staff across offices in FCT, Gombe, Maiduguri, Biu, Kano, Lagos, Gombe, Damaturu, Yola, Delta, Imo and Abia where more than 500,000 beneficiaries are served.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Coordinator
Location: Abuja, Nigeria with 50% travel (Imo, Abia, Delta, Yola – Damaturu, Maiduguri – Borno)
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports Directly To: Operations Director
Works Directly With: Operations Team, Finance and Program Staff, STWASH Chief of party, and WASH Engineers
Program / Department Summary
- The Operations department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the logistics, Administration and procurement of goods and services for the Nigeria office.
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement, logistics and Administration activities is the prompt and effective provision of procurement, logistical and Administrative solutions as well materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with Mercy Corps’ and donor policies, procedures, regulations and specifications.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of procurement requests and ensuring procurement and internal control of Mercy Corps North East Nigeria in accordance with the latest policies and procedures.
- He/She is also responsible for carrying out all steps of the procurement process in Mercy Corps across States in Nigeria where the STWASH program is operating and to assist the program activities and any field office procurement-related operations. This includes activities such as: acting as a point person for receiving Purchase Request (electronically and written), acquiring competitive quotations from local and international markets and procurement electronic filling. He/She will act as a focal point person with vendors for the STWASH program in Nigeria.
- Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and; Procurement, Logistics Officer and Operations Coordinator is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Have a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Field Procurement Policies and Procedures and assist in advising program and office management on required practices and procedures.
- Daily Coordination of procurement activities.
- Advise supervisor and colleagues on solution-oriented methods to conduct large and intense procurement while adhering to policy timelines.
- Assist program and operations in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Develop and support standard specifications and processes for the purchase and contracting of goods and services to provide improved service, and quality pricing and reduce time and administrative costs.
- Ensure procurement ceilings and approval procedures are utilized appropriately.
- Ensure to apply all steps involved in tendering procedures and lead the tender process;
- Ensure procurement electronic files are maintained in an orderly and up-to-date system, as per Mercy Corps standards.
- Coordinate remotely with the procurement team Across Mercy Corps Nigeria for all STWASH programs and operations focal points in all offices for receiving quotations from local vendors.
- Collaborate and support procurement in all offices operating areas of Mercy Corps Nigeria for STWASH.
- Help design and review tender documents (including the translation into English and tender advertisement;)
- Conduct frequent market surveys and maintain a strong knowledge of the local market in Nigeria.
- Coordinate with Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial system of Mercy Corps;
- Coordinate remotely with warehouse and transport staff to ensure the timely delivery of all needed materials.
- Closely work with the procurement team and identify the gaps in the procurement system and suggest improvements.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Contribute to the procurement of Water and Sanitation facilities such as water tanks, toilets, bathing facilities, and water and sewage networks.
- Liaise with the local community and other field teams working in the same areas to ensure proper maintenance of the facilities.
- Collect offers from potential vendors for all operations and program requirements
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in a manner that brings credit to Mercy Corps and does not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership. Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Accountable to Mercy Corps Procurement Policy and Procedures. Maintains accurate electronic and hard copy files of procurement files and other relevant files.
Knowledge and Experience
- A Degree in a relevant Business field is desirable;
- 3 – 4 years of experience in WASH Procurement, Inventory Management, and large-scale Logistics Operations.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Excellent oral and written English skills,
- Strong computer skills in MS Excel, MS Access and MS Word programs.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action so as not to delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Must read and understand the Mercy Corps Procurement & Logistics Management and Procedures and demonstrate willingness and ability to follow guidelines.
- Experience in community work and/or experience in project implementation.
- Fast thinker and creative problem-solving. Flexibility and creativity in planning. Ability to take initiative, learn quickly and be accountable for results.
- Ability to understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international development work.
- Even temperament and a good sense of humor.
- Ability to get along and familiarize with nuanced roles and personalities.
- High-security awareness.
Application Closing Date
29th November, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal-opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.