The National DemocraticInstitute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nongovernmental organization that has supported democratic institutions and practices in every region of the world for more than three decades.
Since its founding in 1983, NDI and its local partners have worked to establish and strengthen political and civic organizations, safeguard elections, and promote citizen participation, openness and accountability in government.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer, Civic Education, Youth and Vote Not Fight (VNF)
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
The reports to: The Senior Program Manager, with NDI’s Deputy Country Director, Programs providing overall guidance.
- The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks to hire a Program Officer, Civic Education, Youth and Vote Not Fight (VNF). The ideal candidate should have experience in implementing civic and voter education, youth-policy and electoral violence prevention campaigns.
- The successful candidate will work with NDI’s civil society partners to increase citizens’ knowledge of democratic norms and electoral processes through civic and voter education.
- The candidate will also work with NDI’s partners to influence the adoption and implementation of youth policy priorities. Since 2014, NDI has implemented an election-violence mitigation campaign targeting youth and political parties.
- The successful candidate will also support NDI’s partners on this campaign as part of his or her duties. Based in Abuja, Nigeria, this position requires regular travel to various States. The position is available immediately.
- Under the supervision of the Senior Program Manager, design and implement NDI’s civic and voter education, youth and VNF campaigns.
- Serve as primary point of contact for NDI’s civic and voter education, youth and VNF campaigns.
- Conceptualize and implement campaigns with the aim of increasing youth participation in Nigeria’s political and electoral processes.
- Provide technical support and guidance to NDI’s partners on civic and voter education and youth campaigns, especially the youth policy and Vote Not Fight campaigns.
- Contribute to the implementation of program activities including strategic planning, technical expertise, administrative, accounting/financial, monitoring and evaluation, donor communications and reporting;
- Work with colleagues in Abuja and Washington, DC to identify consultants and experts to assist with the program and oversee their work and activities;
- Develop and/or leads the production of program materials when needed to facilitate activities, workshops, training sessions, etc.;
- Draft weekly, activity and technical program reports that monitor and evaluate program performance and results as well as political developments;
- Ensures programmatic objectives are achieved as well as reporting requirements are adhered to; and
- Develop and/or implement other programmatic and administrative activities as needed.
- Prepare program budgets and ensures activity and trip budgets are prepared accurately and within the approved program budget.
- Track program expenses to ensure that the program activities remain within budget.
- Prepare regular financial reports and reconciliations.
- Support budget alterations and expenses when necessary and apprises relevant staff when changes are necessary in the program and activity budgets.
- Support M&E Program Officer in the collection of relevant data to evaluate program progress and outcomes.
- Provides analysis of data to determine the quality and impact of program activities.
- Contribute to quarterly reports on program activities including background, descriptions of activities, evaluation of program performance and analysis.
- Ensure regular activity reports are provided.
- Communicate regularly with Washington based regional and functional staff.
- Participate in staff meetings and presents weekly program updates.
- Represents NDI to Nigeria organizations and the donor community as delegated by the Country Director or Senior Program Manager
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in International relations, political science, social sciences or a related field; graduate degree desired;
- Minimum of four (4) years relevant work experience in international development, youth and gender issues, political campaigns electoral processes and institutions, political party organizational development and/or legislative affairs.
- Demonstrated work experience on marginalized groups, civic and voter education, governance and youth development issues;.
- Knowledge of and experience in citizen participation legislative processes, political parties, political campaigns;
- Knowledge of Nigeria’s electoral laws, governance policies and policy analysis.
- Experience in implementing organization and development programs funded by the USAID or other bi- and multi-lateral donors;
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor and consultant as well as experience in organizing and conducting trainings and workshops;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills to effectively and persuasively present information, respond to questions and negotiate as well as share information with partners, donors and bilateral partners;
- Experience in program design, strategic planning and monitoring and evaluation;
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Experience with Google Apps suite (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired; Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations which may be remote and difficult to reach.
- The Program Officer will work collaboratively with NDI’s Abuja and Washington-based regional staff.
- Salary is commensurate with the NDI Nigeria salary scale.
- Benefits and a housing allowance will be provided.
Application Closing Date
8th January, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV to: [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- NDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, political affiliation, religion, gender, disability, and/or sexual orientation.