The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Policy Officer, NOB (Livelihood & Resilience)
Requisition ID: 176161
- Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Head of Livelihood the Programme Policy Officer – Livelihood and Resilience will provide effective specialized technical support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet objectives of building resilience of vulnerable households for food and nutrition security.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Provide technical support in the implementation of livelihood and resilience activities at country office, and technical guidance to WFP Area and Sub Office in strategic planning and implementation of livelihoods and resilience building interventions ensuring processes, supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Support the Country Office strategic orientation in ensuring integrated resilience approach is implemented throughout, including in the design of current and future interventions such as Home-Grown School Feeding, Health & Nutrition, and the Smallholder farmers support- for effective and sustainable food systems.
- Provide specialized project management support to regular and multi-year livelihood and resilience interventions to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures, including providing technical oversight and operational support to the AO/SO.
- Contribute to the CO’s efforts in building up WFP’s capacity to deliver according to the country strategic plan, with particular attention given to the setup of the technical expertise required for participatory planning, agricultural/environmental asset creation and smallholder farmers support activities.
- Enhance WFP’s leadership status in forums relating to area of specialism, for example livelihoods, resilience and food systems through direct participation, briefings, information products and other materials.
- Contribute to resources mobilizations effort for WFP projects, including clearly articulating the need for livelihood and resilience and related programme opportunities, and follow up on the resource situation of projects including commodity and cash availability, seeking advice from senior colleagues where necessary.
- Monitoring activities planning and implementation in liaison with the AO and SO and report progress periodically, prepare a range of reports (e.g., food assistance needs, resource utilization, project performance and activity fact sheets) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Coordinate with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to ensure efficient delivery of livelihood interventions.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries within a specific technical area of responsibility.
- Others as determined by the line manager.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Advanced University Degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences, or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- At least five yearsin programme management, preferably implementing livelihoods and resilience projects
Desired Experiences For Entry Into The Role:
- Exposure to and experience with water works and infrastructure implementation, agriculture and livestock, watershed management,
- Natural Resource Management, International Development, Social Protection and planning, participatory approaches and community-led change projects; food security, nutrition programmes and safety nets desirable;
- Exposure to and experience with food security, nutrition programmes and safety nets desirable;
- Proficiency in Windows, MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) and experience in using geographic information systems is an advantage;
- Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgement, tact, negotiating skills; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to work in a team, and establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to cope with situations which may threaten health or safety;
- Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient knowledge of WFP Programme cycle. Understanding of approaches to livelihoods support and resilience building-Food Assistance for Assets; Support to Smallholder farmers. Reporting- quality writing and editorial skills. Proficiency in Microsoft software and research skills.
- Fluent English both written and spoken.
Application Closing Date
16th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
- All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Terms and Conditions:
- Only Nigerian nationals are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package. For more details please visit the International Civil Service Commission’s website: http://icsc.un.org (link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/nigeria.htm).