The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Public Relations & Communications Advisor
VA No. 106
Location: Abuja, FCT
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Country Office
GIZ. Solutions that work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and schborn.
- Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of hom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
- GIZ Country offices are the central element of GIZ’s field structure.
- They ensure consistent overall representation of the company and its successful positioning as a service provider in the international cooperation market. They are headed by a country director.
- The country directors represent GIZ as a whole in the country or countries they service. The country director is responsible for shaping the GIZ country portfolio and assuring its quality, and in particular ensures that GIZ activities in all business sectors are coherent.
- The country directors generally have management responsibility for the officers responsible for commissions in the public-benefit TC measures in their area.
- The GIZ Offices provide human resources and commercial support services for programmes and projects in their areas. These services must be contracted as set out individually in the respective processes and rules sections.
- Furthermore, the GIZ Offices perform internal audits of the project administrations in the public-benefit sector, and by agreement for International Services projects and offices too
Responsibilities & Tasks
- The PR & Communications Advisor is responsible for the strategic communication and advocacy of the activities of the Country Office and Portfolio of GIZ Nigeria & ECOWAS.
- He/she is responsible for supporting, enhancing and delivering the Country Office’s strategic communications and public relations (communications, media relationships and advocacy) in collaboration with the communication officers of other projects under the portfolio.
- He/she directs the overarching communication initiatives for the portfolio and GIZ’s work in Nigeria and the ECOWAS region as well as acting advisor on matters of corporate communication, strategic communication, public advocacy and visibility.
- The PR & Communications Advisor will bring an understanding of the development and implementation of communication strategies for internal communication and external communication with a focus on donors.
- He/she ensures high quality of the external communication of GIZ Nigeria & ECOWAS’ activities and its donors.
- He/she is also responsible for the development and execution of an effective communication strategy to promote and coordinate the communication activities, material, and strategic approach within the projects of GIZ Nigeria & ECOWAS.
- Development and implementation of the communication strategy and action plan in line with the communication principles and rules of GIZ and the strategic priorities of the work in Nigeria and the ECOWAS region.
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communication and public relations activities that will enhance the image of GIZ Nigeria & ECOWAS, its ongoing work and facilitate internal and external communications.
- Maintain and manage the GIZ Nigeria & ECOWAS’ main social media channels to facilitate the presentation of programs’ results and activities and ensure that it serves as a reference platform for sharing information among the external audience including the donors and main political partners in the country.
- Permanent coordination with the Communication Officers of the different projects and the donor’s focal points for communication ensuring that all communication respects the GIZ and other donor’s visibility guidelines and the general communication strategy.
- Management of internal communications material (e.g. IDA, Newsletters, media review, podcast, brown bag lunches) and proactive contribution to new ideas or measures to increase visibility of projects and activities.
Media & PR work:
- Support to the projects on the coordination with the mainstream, national and regional media concerning
- effective dissemination of information about GIZ in general and GIZ Nigeria & ECOWAS in particular.
- Enhancing the way in which GIZ Nigeria & CECOWAS communicates to all stakeholders and promotes its image and initiatives, as a forward-looking organization.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of publications.
- Advising all the program teams and partner organizations on communication and public relations.
Professional advisory services:
- Advising projects and programs on identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provides technical input in development communication and PR.
- Participating in identifying needs for external support and advice, works on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach.
- Organising and managing internal and external events at the request of the Country Director.
Other duties/additional tasks:
- Updating the photo database of project activities.
- Supporting internal working groups and task forces in their communication needs.
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, political Sciences, Public Information, International Relations, Management or a related field. A Master’s Degree would be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience with national and international organizations in the field of communication (media and PR work, journalism, internal communication or lobbying or similar).
- Demonstrated experience in event management including setting up and running conferences, public-private stakeholder events and trade shows (this may include the knowledge of organizing and hosting virtual meetings on diverse platforms)
- Proven track record in developing communication strategies, content, websites, and marketing.
- Strong communications background and proficiency in communications tools and software, including but not limited to Microsoft Office tools, working knowledge of Adobe tools, database management tools and information dissemination platforms.
Other knowledge, additional competences:
- Demonstrated knowledge about international cooperation and the donor landscape in Nigeria
- Ability to express well both verbally and in writing; polished, target-group oriented style
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Very good knowledge of the English; other regional languages spoken in Nigeria is an asset
- Graphic design skills are an added asset.
Key Personal Character
- Detail-oriented and dependable with excellent organizational skills.
- Self-starter who is a highly motivated creative thinker with website design skills.
- Team player with positive disposition.
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a multicultural team.
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4.
Application Closing Date
22nd December, 2022.
How to Aply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: email@example.com using “Vacancy no. 106” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity.
- All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.